Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't Sonos library if Time Capsule is in Bridge mode

I reconfigured my network a bit today to fix a Double NAT problem and now my Sonos controller app can't find my music library which is stored on my Time Capsule drive (it worked before this). Part of solving the Double NAT problem was changing the Time Capsule mode from DHCP and NAT to Bridge and I've figured out that this is the thing causing the problem. If I set it back to DHCP and NAT, Sonos can see the music library again.

I need to have the TC in Bridge mode because I'm using it with a router/gateway provided by my ISP but of course I want my Sonos to work.

Can anyone explain why this is happened and how to fix it?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:17 PM

The quickest solution might be to run the Time Capsule in DCHP and NAT mode if this allows the Sonos product to work correctly......AND.....you see no other ill effects from the Double NAT condition.

Apple does provide you with an option to "ignore" the Double NAT notice, which will allow the Time Caspules to display a green light instead of a bothersome blinking amber display. Sometimes.....although it might not be recommended by most networking guides.....you have to run a Double NAT on the network......it just depends.

However, if you do need to run the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode......you will need to remember an old network saying.......make one change on the network.....and everything else on the network will change.

So, once the Time Capsule is in Bridge Mode, you will have to start all over again and reset the Sonos product back to its original factory default condition and then set it up again so that the Sonos will work correctly with your new network settings.

If you call Apple Support on this issue, they will advise you run the Time Capsule in DHCP and NAT mode even though you have another router upstream on the network. Give them a call if you need to confirm this.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2015 9:17 PM in response to Jim Constant

The quickest solution might be to run the Time Capsule in DCHP and NAT mode if this allows the Sonos product to work correctly......AND.....you see no other ill effects from the Double NAT condition.

Apple does provide you with an option to "ignore" the Double NAT notice, which will allow the Time Caspules to display a green light instead of a bothersome blinking amber display. Sometimes.....although it might not be recommended by most networking guides.....you have to run a Double NAT on the network......it just depends.

However, if you do need to run the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode......you will need to remember an old network saying.......make one change on the network.....and everything else on the network will change.

So, once the Time Capsule is in Bridge Mode, you will have to start all over again and reset the Sonos product back to its original factory default condition and then set it up again so that the Sonos will work correctly with your new network settings.

If you call Apple Support on this issue, they will advise you run the Time Capsule in DHCP and NAT mode even though you have another router upstream on the network. Give them a call if you need to confirm this.

Jul 4, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Jim Constant

Among the things that a Double NAT can cause on a network.......

Slower Internet browsing

Some sites will load, while some may not

Interactive gaming consoles will not work correctly with Double NAT

Apple's Back to My Mac feature will not usually work with a Double NAT

Chances are, if you have been running the Double NAT on the network in the past and you have not noticed any issues, then things will probably continue to be OK.

"so could you tell me why the Sonos can't find the library on the TC drive (in Bridge mode) when it's plugged directly into the back of the TC?"

The Sonos device learned the actual location and network address of the TC when it was set up in Double NAT. If you set up the TC in Bridge Mode, it will have a new, different address on the network......that the Sonos does not know about, since it has not been programmed to find the TC at the "new" location.

That is why I said that if you need to set up the TC in Bridge Mode.......you will need to reset the Sonus device back to its original settings and then set it up again so that it can learn the new location of the TC on the network.

By network "location", I mean boring stuff like IP addresses, etc.

Jul 4, 2015 9:08 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

The Sonos device learned the actual location and network address of the TC when it was set up in Double NAT. If you set up the TC in Bridge Mode, it will have a new, different address on the network......that the Sonos does not know about, since it has not been programmed to find the TC at the "new" location.

That is why I said that if you need to set up the TC in Bridge Mode.......you will need to reset the Sonus device back to its original settings and then set it up again so that it can learn the new location of the TC on the network.

After putting the TC in Bridge mode I:

• rebooted the AT&T router/gateway and TC
  • unplugged the power from the Sonos and plugged it back in
  • deleted the reference to the library in the preferences of the Sonos controller app on my Mac and re-added it

So do you mean reset the Sonos back to factory settings? (last question 🙂)

Thanks

Jul 4, 2015 9:20 AM in response to Jim Constant

If you are saying that the Sonus is now working correctly with the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode, then obviously there is no need to reset the Sonus back to factory defaults and start all over again.

The library is going to have a tendency to get "lost" with the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode, so you may need to check the preference settings from time to time.

If you are saying that the Sonus is still not working after you changed the preference settings, then it you will need to start all over again from scratch and reset the Sonus back to its original default settings and then set it up again.

Jul 4, 2015 9:49 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Sorry if I confused things, Bob. With the TC in DHCP and NAT mode, Sonos can find the library and it works. I just have that Double NAT situation. With the TC in Bridge mode though, the Sonos gives the impression that it can see the library when I delete and re-add it in Preferences. However, when I try to play a song it tells me it can't find the library. But, when I put the TC back in DHCP and NAT mode, the Sonos magically works again and I can play music.

Just explaining that makes me think I do need to do a factory reset of the Sonos.

Thanks for the help.

Jul 4, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Jim Constant

As I said......assuming the TC is now is in Bridge Mode......

If you are saying that the Sonus is still not working after you changed the preference settings, then it you will need to start all over again from scratch and reset the Sonus back to its original default settings and then set it up again.

Note......there is no guarantee that the Sonus will operate correctly with the TC in Bridge Mode. It should....but "should" is not the same thing as saying "will". And, in networking if you change one thing.....other things that were working before will change.

Double NAT is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, unless it is creating problems on the network.....it is simply a different option to set things up. As I mentioned above.....if you call Apple Support, they will first recommend that you run the Double NAT. Might be something to consider.

If you are bothered by the blinking amber light, there is way to tell the TC to display a green light when it is in Double NAT.

Why won't Sonos library if Time Capsule is in Bridge mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.