Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems finding album artwork - A Callout to Apple

Hello,

I've been dealing with this problem extensively for almost a month by now, and everything I've tried comes up as a blank. In fact, the problem only seems to be getting worse.

I buy and import music in .wav format just for my own personal reasons. iTunes seems to be one of the few music players that can assign metadata to .wav files as well as assign album artwork to them. It doesn't attach the artwork literally but it synchronizes it. I've always appreciated iTunes for this very reason.

But recently getting album artwork has become more difficult. I buy a lot of club music so I always double check to see if the track is released under a different album name or artist name in the iTunes store since the music I buy is from BeatPort. For the tracks that are on the iTunes store, I cannot always get the album artwork to be found. It's a common error displayed message:

"Artwork for '(artist - track title here)' could not be found. The requested resource was not found."

At first I thought it was because maybe club music tracks are just harder for the Apple iTunes service to find on their servers or something. I really thought this because I bought one club music track and I got the artwork to be found while three other tracks could not be. So I let it slide. But then I bought the new Muse album on CD, imported it to iTunes after ripping it in wav and iTunes couldn't find that album artwork...the album came out three months ago. The artwork is sitting in their iTunes store. Muse is a very popular British rock band. How can the resource not be found? How?

Recently getting album artwork on tracks has turned into an opposite scale. For every five tracks I import (all five of which can be bought on iTunes mind you), only one track's album artwork can be found.

I'm sure you're about to say "attach it in the info of the song with a picture file", but you can't do that for .wav files. And this work-around should not be the way to fix this if it actually did work, which it doesn't. I also was curious if this was some sort of loss of support for .wav files and converted some tracks to MP3 (tracks again that were available in iTunes, metadata correct and all). No dice, the issue is not related to file format.

That brings me to tonight, the last straw and turning point where I've actually created my Apple Support screen name so I can post on the forums and try to get an answer or some support on this extremely frustrating issue.

I recently exported, deleted, and re-imported my library into a different version of iTunes just to see if iTunes 12 was the problem. Turns out iTunes 12 is not the problem. Not only that, the problem seems to be growing to older music, older albums where I was able to get album art a couple years ago.

iTunes cannot find album artwork now for Muse's albums Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations, and The Resistance (probably one of their most popular albums ever). This wasn't a problem ever before, so I simply ask three things to a community (and hopefully someone who works for Apple who knows what the **** is going on):

1. Why is this happening? (my guess is Apple is putting a stress on their servers for their streaming service and screwing things up for iTunes users in the process)

2. What is being done to correct it?

3. Has anyone found a workaround or fix for this yet that would apply to .wav file users?

I realize the first two questions more-so apply to Apple but I don't see any other way to get their attention besides calling up retail outlets that wouldn't have answers to begin with.

Thank you.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows 7, null

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 2:15 AM

I gave up trying to add artwork through iTunes years ago and never been happier. Besides, it is a measly 600x600.

Now I get my artwork from Amazon and a little firefox extension that lets me download the artwork (azid - Amazon Zoom Image Downloader).

For tagging purposes, I use MpeTag, which also embeds the artwork onto the file itself, unlike iTunes, which puts it in a folder.

Let's face it, iTunes is not really good software ;-)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2015 2:15 AM in response to TheTyper

I gave up trying to add artwork through iTunes years ago and never been happier. Besides, it is a measly 600x600.

Now I get my artwork from Amazon and a little firefox extension that lets me download the artwork (azid - Amazon Zoom Image Downloader).

For tagging purposes, I use MpeTag, which also embeds the artwork onto the file itself, unlike iTunes, which puts it in a folder.

Let's face it, iTunes is not really good software ;-)

Jul 5, 2015 5:42 PM in response to adansantos

The resolution isn't the point here. Downloading the artwork from Amazon doesn't need a Firefox extension, right click the image file, view it in a new tab and then save it in the full size. And again, you cannot embed image files into wav files, which is why Mp3Tag doesn't support .wav.

iTunes is a fine software with bugs like any other program, the problem is that the issues that are growing on it shouldn't be. Any other ideas?

Dec 24, 2016 1:57 AM in response to TheTyper

I have the exact same issues.

Albums that should clearly be available you get "could not be found". Then a friend showed me how simple it is to add manually (on his computer). I get home and try on mine and it allows you to paste using control V and displays in the window but is not saved. But it was on his computer !

So click the add artwork button and navigate to a folder with the artwork in it and it displays but is not saved yet again.

Problems finding album artwork - A Callout to Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.