Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro won't boot past chime

I have a Mac Pro 2010 running I believe 10.9.5(?). 2.66 12core 32gb Ram, and an OWC Pcie ssd as the boot drive.

I was working today on an edit in Adobe Premiere, and it gave me the beach ball. I let it sit for an hour, but it was completely unresponsive, so I held the power button down to shut it down. Now the computer won't start up at all. It gets to past the chime and shuts off. Once in a while it would get to the Apple screen, and then immediately shut down.

Things I've tried: Resetting PRAM, Safe Mode, SMC Reset

I've had problems in the past with the SSD drive (I'm on my 3rd one from OWC), but in the past I've taken my computer to the shop to get looked at. I can't do that until Monday at the earliest, and even then, they can't work on it until late next week, so I'm trying to troubleshoot it myself.

Any thoughts, tips, or tricks would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:37 PM

4 replies

Jul 4, 2015 7:13 AM in response to lllaass

So I tried all of these steps (not entirely sure about the lights on the logicboard or where I'm looking there), but after taking out the pcie SSD, the machie will at least boot to the utilities screen. It shows my 4 hard drives (minus the pcie).

So I'm gathering that it's ANOTHER defective PCIe SSD from OWC. This is seriously the 3rd drive to fail on me from them in a little over 2 years. I can only hope that it's still covered under warranty, because it was $750

Thanks for your help!

Jul 4, 2015 8:18 AM in response to joegorges

There are SATA III PCIe cards, like Apricorn (which is solid & reliable); there are true PCIe-SSD (blades) which use an ADAPTER (like Lycom unit $24) that give excellent performance - and OWC has entered into that area now with their blade type. XP941 and now SM951 are same form factor as nMP Apple/Samsung and which can be bought new on ebay.

No reason to go with SATA III today (cheaper, use dual 500-1TB such as Samsung EVO 850), but never Sandforce type OWC.

Mac Pro won't boot past chime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.