Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APPLE I DO NOT WANT TO JUST PLAY MUSIC ON ITUNES!!!!!

I am extremely angry regarding this new update and apple music... what are you guys playing at??????

I for one do not always play itunes music on my pc via iTunes.

I subscribed to the itunes match service so that i could use my old cd's and rip them into itunes and get itunes alternatives of the tracks.

Now itunes match is far from perfect but before the update all the matched music files were playable on other media players due to not having DRM attatched to them.

Matched files are now being downloaded from icloud as protected file that cannot be played on other media players.

This is not what the service is supposed to do so why on earth is it doing this?

My question is 'when is the itunes match service going to be sorted out so that it works correctly, as it should, again without having to downgrade to an earlier itunes version just to get rid of this terrible mess?

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 1:13 AM

I understand exactly what your dealing with. I thought ahead and began this whole process using two different Apple ID's and devices just in case. Given what you mentioned, this could of only happened if you subscribed to the new Apple Music Service which you didn't mention in your post. Assuming you did enter into that 3 month, Apple Music trial, that explains the situation. Your iTunes Match is still there in respect to the cloud itself, but it's been functionally replaced with Apple Music. For example, if you don't continue the $9.99/month subscription after 3 months, your cloud will immediately begin to download your songs DRM free, with no format issues. Apple Music service simply matched your songs in that massive 30 million data base and your downloading from that. Remember, it's really a streaming service whereby your renting the music for the duration of your membership. My iTunes Match is operating the exact same way as it's tied to a user ID not subscribed to Apple Music. My Apple ID that is subscribed to Apple Music is functioning just as you described in your post.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2015 1:13 AM in response to DCAUK

I understand exactly what your dealing with. I thought ahead and began this whole process using two different Apple ID's and devices just in case. Given what you mentioned, this could of only happened if you subscribed to the new Apple Music Service which you didn't mention in your post. Assuming you did enter into that 3 month, Apple Music trial, that explains the situation. Your iTunes Match is still there in respect to the cloud itself, but it's been functionally replaced with Apple Music. For example, if you don't continue the $9.99/month subscription after 3 months, your cloud will immediately begin to download your songs DRM free, with no format issues. Apple Music service simply matched your songs in that massive 30 million data base and your downloading from that. Remember, it's really a streaming service whereby your renting the music for the duration of your membership. My iTunes Match is operating the exact same way as it's tied to a user ID not subscribed to Apple Music. My Apple ID that is subscribed to Apple Music is functioning just as you described in your post.

APPLE I DO NOT WANT TO JUST PLAY MUSIC ON ITUNES!!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.