Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting iPad to wifi after restart

I Have noticed that iPad will not connect to wifi after restart unless the screen is unlocked. I am concerned that if my iPad is stolen I will never be able to locate it if someone turns it off and on again as it will not connect to any wifi even if it's known to it. In few words, the Find my iPad App is rendered a little useless. Is there any way around this?

iPad Air, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:25 PM

7 replies

Jul 4, 2015 4:35 AM in response to Briansyddall

TThank you for the help. I don't have any issues connecting with wifi actually. this is just a small issue which I noticed everytime I reboot the iPad. My concern is that if someone steals my iPad and reboots it it will never connect to any wifi at all and I won't be able to locate it via the find my iPad/iPhone feature. I wish to know if there is any way that the iPad will connect to any known wifi if rebooted but prior to unlocking of the screen.

Jul 15, 2015 5:29 PM in response to Briansyddall

HI, my iPad is brand new and has no bug. All iPad and iPhone I have seen have this issue. Once you turn it off, not stand by, and back on they will not connect automatically to known networks as long as your screen has not been unlocked, making your apple product completely unreachable if it is lost or stolen. The only workaround is by having someone who steals it or finds it to connect it to a computer. Otherwise you can forget you will ever find your product. I'm asking if there could be anything to solve this issue. Please do not keep repeating your answers especially if the solution has nothing to do with the problem.

Nov 20, 2015 2:11 AM in response to dborg01

+1

I always have had exactly the same problem on all my iPhones, iPads.... I believe it's an Apple issue and not a device/configuration problem.

After a reboot or restart the devices will never connect to a known WiFi network before you unlock it with you passcode/PIN.

The stupid replies you got to your questions came from people that probably never restarted their iPads. It WILL happen to everyone if they restart the device and wait. The WiFi connection will never occur unless you unlock it.

And it is super annoying. Just another good reason to switch to Android.

Connecting iPad to wifi after restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.