Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA mid 2011 trackpad constantly right clicking when it should not

I have owned this laptop for a bit over three years, and for nearly all of that time (except for maybe the first few months I had the laptop), the trackpad improperly right clicks when I did not intend for it to do so.

It is not a software problem. This has happened on every OS version I have tried.

The entire keyboard/trackpad component was replaced last August under warranty for these problems. This was only a temporary solution - the problems came back soon after.

Just recently in May, right before the warranty expired, I got service battery errors. I took it in, and the tech said the battery was horribly swollen, and installed a new one while I waited.

But the severe invalid right clicking problem remains. It is so bad, that I have to disable "Secondary Click" in the trackpad preferences. This causes problems when I try to use XQuartz/X11 programs that do not support the alternative control-click for a right click menu.

In fact, I had to disable most of the special trackpad features. Otherwise, it is intolerable.

My mom has an almost 10 year old white MacBook. This Air is a bit slow for me, and I offered to sell it to her - a great upgrade for her, so I could get a MacBook Pro. "H*ll no", she said - "not after all that trackpad sh*t you've had to go through".

EDIT: Seriously? You can't say h_ell?

Message was edited by: MikeRichardson

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:34 PM

3 replies

Jul 7, 2015 3:53 AM in response to MikeRichardson

MikeRichardson wrote:

Awesome support guys.

You may not be aware that this is a user to user forum and there are no Apple employees here assisting users. This is done on a volunteer basis and there is no obligation for anyone to respond to any post.

Based on your description of your trackpad problem, I suspect that the swollen battery damaged the trackpad. I would suggest that the best option is to have it examined at an Apple store genius bar. It may need to be adjusted or perhaps replaced.

Ciao.

MBA mid 2011 trackpad constantly right clicking when it should not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.