Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transition timing problems

I have the continual problem of when i try to change a transition time in imovie say from 1.0sec to 2.0sec, it will then revert to 0.3sec and cant be changed again, it cant even be changed back to 1.0sec... my clips are at least 4-5 seconds on either side of the transition as i know you can use more the half the clip on either side for the transition.

I dont have the auto on, i need to manually add transitions which is what i want to be doing. I'm on Yosemite 10.10.3 and i'm using imovie 10.0.8.

I have tried looking everywhere for anything that may be affecting it i have watched hours of youtube tutorials and have got nowhere.

Please help

Thank you in Advance to anyone that replies

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 9:14 AM

iMovie is finicky with transitions. This is a bug that a lot of people have dealt with and I don't think a surefire solution has been found. Have you tried extending the clips to a longer time (just temporarily), setting the transition time, and then shortening the clip back to where you want it? That or just delete both are start again.

Like I said, I'm not surprised you haven't been able to find a solution. The two things I mentioned have worked for me, but sometimes I just have to give up and try something else.

<Links Edited By Host>

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2015 9:14 AM in response to crazyphotoguy

iMovie is finicky with transitions. This is a bug that a lot of people have dealt with and I don't think a surefire solution has been found. Have you tried extending the clips to a longer time (just temporarily), setting the transition time, and then shortening the clip back to where you want it? That or just delete both are start again.

Like I said, I'm not surprised you haven't been able to find a solution. The two things I mentioned have worked for me, but sometimes I just have to give up and try something else.

<Links Edited By Host>

Jul 6, 2015 4:00 PM in response to crazyphotoguy

I'm also having this problem tonight and have had to just walk away from my MBP before doing something to it that would certainly invalidate the warranty.

1 - I want to change a value in my software from a 1.0 to x.x, where x.x is a number of my choice

2 - I want the software to remember my adjustment and carry out a basic function (in this case, a screen transition) based on my new value of x.x

3 - If I do not like the results of my change, I want to be able to repeat step 1 where the initial value would now be x.x and I want to change that value to a new one, of my choice

Please note, anybody/everybody at Apple, if this feels like a patronising dumbing down and oversimplification of the problem, this is how we feel trying to use this version of iMovie. It just doesn't work.

Jul 12, 2015 12:07 AM in response to crazyphotoguy

I'm having the same problem & it is driving me nuts.
I'm just working on a small project of about 4min duration & throughout the project it has let me change the length of the manual transitions no problem at all.

But the final transition? Nope.

Whenever I change it from the default 1.0s it changes itself to 0.2s and cannot be changed back even to 1.0s.
I've tried extending the clip lengths, quitting & restarting iMovie, restarting my iMac. You name it. Nothing fixes it.
It's basically ruined the end of my project where I need a slow transition/dissolve to a final scene.
The only option I'm now left with is to re-do the entire project (1/2 a days work...) & hope it doesn't happen again.
That really is absurd for 'It just works!' software.
Apple... please fix this seriously annoying bug.

Jul 12, 2015 12:26 AM in response to RexRox

Okay... just found a very weird work-around...

After the clip that I had wanted to do the slow cross-dissolve to but couldn't I added a new transition (at the end of the project). It allowed me to change the duration of this final transition to my desired length.
What I then did was deleted the recalcitrant transition from between clips, selected the final clip & moved it to the other side of the final transition (so the final transition became a between clip transition). The transition was then sort of the length I needed.
Not ideal but it worked.
Hope this helps.

Transition timing problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.