Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I permanently delete individual files in the trash?

How can I permanently delete individual files in the trash without emptying the whole trash folder

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:37 PM

7 replies

Jul 3, 2015 11:51 PM in response to beefromcambridge

Terminal is an application in Applications/Utilities. It give you direct access via typed commands to the Linux programming which underlies OSX. It's very powerful, rather unfriendly, and rather dangerous in that a mistyped command can delete files without any warning (there is no 'are you sure' dialog). Although the advice given by MikeRichardson is in itself safe enough provided you follow it exactly and don't improvise, Terminal is on the whole probably better to stay out of unless you have a reasonable idea what you are doing.

Jul 3, 2015 11:51 PM in response to beefromcambridge

To open a "terminal" window, you need to open the "Terminal" app.

One way is to use the Spotlight search and search for "Terminal". It will probably be the "top hit".

Another way is to look in the Utilities folder, inside of the Applications folder.

When you open a Terminal window, it will look like some text, similar to this:

Last login: Sat Jul 4 00:11:16 on ttys000

airhead:~ mike$

My computer is named "airhead" and my user account is "mike", but yours might show up different.

You can type in this window; it's where you type "terminal" commands. You can also drag a file into the window, and the terminal will put a path (a bunch of info that points to a file).

So you can open a Terminal window, type "srm " (you have to put a space after the srm), and then drag a file into that terminal window.

This sets up a command called srm, which is "Secure ReMove". Press return (enter) to "execute" the command, or make it occur.

Be VERY CAREFUL which file you drag into the terminal window when using "srm". THE FILE IS GONE FOREVER after this. Not anyone, Apple or the Government or the NSA can get it back after this.

Jul 3, 2015 11:55 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger is right about Terminal being unsafe, you should either be careful and follow the instructions exactly, or his advice is very good as well - just move out all of the other files from the Trash, and then empty the trash (Secure Empty is permanent) to get rid of just one file.

Either way, srm or Secure Empty Trash, it will be gone forever. No one will be able to read it ever again (unless you have a backup somewhere!)

How can I permanently delete individual files in the trash?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.