Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I uninstall Yosemite and reinstall Mavericks? My Mac automatically upgraded to yosemite and now it's frozen with a white screen.

I made the mistake of allowing the update of Yosemite when I needed to keep my Mac on Mavericks. Now my mac won't boot. Screen is frozen, white. I've tried the "control R" routine but am not clear on how to get Mavericks back. Help. Mavericks / Yosemite for Dummies please. It isn't a big deal for me to lose the files on the Mac since I have all my important files backed-up on external drives. I am wondering about my itunes however; I have my settings as such that itunes should be backed up to the cloud, but how can I be sure? My main concern is getting my original OS Mavericks back.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:52 PM

2 replies

Jul 4, 2015 12:42 PM in response to buttergun

Do a backup, preferably 2 separate ones on 2 separate drives.

Revert to a Previous OS X - Yosemite

Revert Yosemite to Mavericks

If you do revert, I'd use Setup Assistant to restore your data. This process takes a while, so do it when you won't need the computer for several hours, based on my experience.

Startup - Gray, Blue or White screen at boot, w/spinner/progress bar

Startup - Gray Screen

Startup Issues - Resolve

Startup Issues - Resolve (2)

Startup Issues - Resolve (3)

How do I uninstall Yosemite and reinstall Mavericks? My Mac automatically upgraded to yosemite and now it's frozen with a white screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.