Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Terminal is not responding at all. I think it is corrupted

This is the screenshot of the terminal:-

I can't get way around this error. No key seem to be working.

I recently installed sass using "gem install sass" command.

Please Help me!!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), late 2011 model

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 4:09 AM

8 replies

Jul 4, 2015 9:43 AM in response to varun4

Back up all data.

Select

Shell ▹ New Command

from the Terminal menu bar. Uncheck the box marked

Run command inside a shell

if checked.

Copy and paste the following line into the text box that opens, then press return:

mkdir disabled_shell_files

Close the Terminal window that opens. Repeat with this line:

mv .profile .bash_history .bash_profile .bashrc .inputrc disabled_shell_files

Your old shell initialization and history files will be saved in a directory named "disabled_shell_files" at the top level of your home directory. It's normal that some of these files will not exist, and therefore you will get some "no such file" errors.

Close the window, open a new one, and test.

Jul 4, 2015 9:56 PM in response to varun4

This is not a support site; it's a discussion site, and the discussion has to take place here.

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest.

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode.

If you get the same results from both Steps 1 and 2, see below.

Back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Jul 5, 2015 4:42 AM in response to Linc Davis

I tried seeing the terminal in Guest account. It still showed the same error.

I booted in safe mode and still saw the same error in the terminal.

Can you tell me more about reinstall the OS process?

Will it download the OS from the internet? In that case I have to keep my Mac running whole night.

Will my application be deleted? Do i have to reinstall the OS?

Will it fix the terminal error?

P.S you said this is discussion page and you cannot help in person, is there a support page where someone can fix this error?

My Terminal is not responding at all. I think it is corrupted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.