Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 freezes MacBook Pro (Yosemite) shortly after launch

Hi community... hoping you can help... I've done a lot of troubleshooting and I can't figure out why my iTunes (12.2) on Yosemite is freezing the entire computer shortly after launching.

Here are some things that I have tried and the result.

* Start up in Safe Mode and run Disc Utility... Verify Permissions fixed some /library/cups/ stuff (Printer stuff?) and Verify Disk didn't find -any- issues at all

* Started up iTunes in Safe Mode (Option-Control while starting iTunes app) and this WORKS... disables plugins and everything functions

* In iTunes while in Safe Mode, cleared cache

* Close iTunes and restart iTunes NOT in Safe Mode - a few seconds later it freezes and the whole computer is locked up...

* Disabling PlugIns (iTunes Safe Mode) works, but in looking in /Library/dustin/iTunes/Plugins/ (trying to recall Dir off the top of my head), there are no plugins at all in the folder

Anyhow... when the computer freezes due to iTunes, I have to force power-down as the computer simply has the spinning rainbow of death and is non-responsive to any menu or command. I simply hold down Power and wait for things to close down, restart, and try other things.

I'm at a TOTAL loss... what on earth happened? How can I fix it?

Thank you! I've tried REALLY hard to do everything that I could think of and search and find...and now simply at a loss.

-Dustin

Other OS, Time Capsule 802.11n (2nd Gen)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 4:00 AM

12 replies

Jul 4, 2015 10:39 AM in response to kinisuru

Back up all data before proceeding. Quit iTunes if it's running.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/iTunes

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Open

from the popup menu.* A folder should open. Inside it, there may be a subfolder named "iTunes Plug-ins". Move the selected item to the Desktop. Relaunch the application and test.

If the problem isn't resolved, and the folder you moved is not empty, you can put it back where it was. Repeat with this line:

/Library/iTunes

This time you may be prompted for your administrator login password

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Jul 5, 2015 6:03 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi there Linc - thanks again for your help... always great to see when you reply!

I had performed this one and forgot to include in my listing of things I tried... I had simply deleted the folder (it was empty to begin with) and then opened iTunes, assuming it would recreate the folder... it did recreate the folder and it is still empty... however I still have the same issue with iTunes where it is freezing the entire computer.

Any other suggestion(s)? Yesterday I let the computer sit for about 1.5hrs thinking it was doing something and I just needed to wait... but alas the situation was the same when I came back. :-/

Jul 5, 2015 8:48 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hello again Linc... I honestly misread what the second folder instruction was... I just now looked and it contained one plug-in called something like "Quartz Composer bundle" or similar naming. I deleted the folder and re-started iTunes... ugh... same exact issue.

I just now restarted the computer again (I'm forced to each time iTunes crashes the computer), and in looking there is no 'iTunes Plug-ins' in either folder currently...

Any other ideas? One thing I also just now did was re-installing iTunes... I deleted the iTunes app and then installed it again... same issue and neither folder has 'iTunes Plug-ins'.

Jul 5, 2015 11:09 AM in response to kinisuru

This is a major headache for all of us that upgraded the Mac OS and the devices IOS, and iTunes is the bad player. The best 'fix' for the black screen on your desktop or Macbook after trying to load the new iTunes is to "force- quit" the the stalled iTune app by the keystroke command 'command-option-esc". Now, relaunch iTunes while holding down the Option key which will ask you to create a new "Library" folder. Do so, giving the new folder any name you like, and the iTunes app. will magically open! Now, change the view tab to something other than 'full-screen', and quit the program. Now, (stay with me!), again open iTunes while holding down the Option key, but this time select the original Library folder you replaced earlier. Now iTunes will open and function normally. You can also go back to a full screen viewing mode, and it will work OK too. Worked for me.

I must admit that I could never figure this out. We all owe a great deal of thanks to earlier contributors above on this forum, especially Philip Breske, who shared all their expertise with us. Now you may run into the problem of iTunes not listing the songs, etc., that you didn't purchase from the Apple store!

Charles Thomas

Jul 5, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

No--the new iTunes app. opened right up, but in the smaller "standard" desktop window in use by all my apps, on my computer. Amazingly, I was able to change back to full screen mode, re-acquire my large existing library, and use the iTunes to sync my iPhone and iPad, all within the new iTunes app. I am staying away from Apple Music for now!! I really feel for the inexperienced computer user population out there who are wrestling with all these problems, and don't take advantage of such resources as this forum.

Charles Thomas

Jul 5, 2015 12:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc - I just double-checked and, yes, I do still have iTunes freeze the entire computer when OS X is in Safe Mode. Do you think my library was corrupted somehow? The new library 'trick' worked, but I'll need to re-add all my music (I think). Should I just somehow re-add all my music to this new library?

Louie21 - The Library suggestion worked for the *new* library (won't crash using the new library) but now none of my music is in the new library, of course. I'd like to retain my existing library if possible.

Also - when my computer freezes the -whole- computer freezes... the Force Quit keyboard shortcut won't do anything... unfortunately.

Jul 6, 2015 8:14 AM in response to kinisuru

Kinisuru,

If you haven't gotten too far into the rebuild of the library, look around on your Mac for something like "prior" or "existing" music folders/librarys, select it and replace your 'new' library. That's all I did, and instantly the new iTunes app. windows displayed my old, complete music library. My simple sequence during the update was A-downlqad the upgrade (long process), B-install the program (Pretty long, also), C-while holding down the 'option' key', open up the new iTunes app, which should open in a smaller desktop window. Now, if all is well, you may return the 'view' to a full-screen, and it will open that way in the future..

Next thing (and this is where you are, I think) is to 1.-recover your original library, and 2.-verify that 'syncing' works on your IOS devices. It was a hassle, but it worked for me. Also, for now, I am avoiding the Cloud and Apple Music like the plague!

Charles Thomas

iTunes 12.2 freezes MacBook Pro (Yosemite) shortly after launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.