Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has the iPod Touch 4g become "useless"?

Hey,

so I found my iPod Touch 4G in a drawer and tried to install the usual apps (WhatsApp, Youtube, Line, Skype)

And none worked because my version of iOS is too old. I've read people recommending plugging the device in, starting itunes and downloading it from there. But iTunes also just tells me "nah sorry, your ipod is too old".

Every(!) App I tried so far could not be installed. Some people also said to click "Install older version of this app" but I havent found anything like that.

So my question is,

Is the iPod Touch now useless as I cannot install any apps? Or is there some way I haven't tried yet to install something

Thanks

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 3:41 AM

For many apps you can still download the last compatible version by:

Starting when iOS 7 was released, Apple now allows downloading the last compatible version of some apps (iOS 4.2.1 and later only)

App Store: Downloading Older Versions of Apps on iOS - Apple Club

App Store: Install the latest compatible version of an app

You first have to download the non-compatible version on your computer. Then when you try to purchase the version on your iPod you will be offered a compatible version if one exists.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2015 3:41 AM in response to shadoom

For many apps you can still download the last compatible version by:

Starting when iOS 7 was released, Apple now allows downloading the last compatible version of some apps (iOS 4.2.1 and later only)

App Store: Downloading Older Versions of Apps on iOS - Apple Club

App Store: Install the latest compatible version of an app

You first have to download the non-compatible version on your computer. Then when you try to purchase the version on your iPod you will be offered a compatible version if one exists.

Has the iPod Touch 4g become "useless"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.