Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote Management Problems

I live in the US and my parents are in the UK. Just left them yesterday and setup remote management on their mac and everything was working great while I was in their home. I could screen share and modify their mac. Now I'm home and cannot see their mac in shared devices, cannot connect via "connect to server", and of course they have a problem I need to solve. Can anyone help me? We are all running the latest software updates from Apple. Thanks :-)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 5:45 AM

1 reply

Jul 4, 2015 10:00 AM in response to Alison Deane

Best guess, you did not configure your parent's router to "Port Forward" port 5900 from the internet to your parent's Mac.

<http://portforward.com/>

NOTE: Make sure your parent's account password in sufficiently long so it cannot be easily cracked, as once you open port 5900, this is a well known port that gets probed by "Script Kiddies".

In the short term, use TeamViewer.com (free for personal use) which will give you screen sharing easily across home routers, and it will be easy for your parent to install to get you started.

You may even want to stick with TeamViewer.com, or just use it so you can remotely configure your parent's router to pass port 5900, and then you can use screen sharing.

The alternative is to use Screen Sharing via Messages, especially if you use an AOL Instant Messaging account (AIM) as the AIM protocol allows for establishing a remote screen sharing session.

Remote Management Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.