Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best way to fix bad iTunes import to Macbook Pro

I have an extensive CD library on my main Mac Pro and wanted to bring it to my new Macbook Pro. I copied it over but unfortunately had iTunes option to organize on which seems to be the default.

I put all music in the Apple OS X labeled Music folder. All my music is already organized (example):

Artist 1 folder:

Album1 folder

Album2 folder

Artist 2 folder:

Album1 folder

Album 2folder

Album 3 folder

For special "albums" I've created like a playlist, I create my own cover art and apply to the songs that make it into these special albums.

-----------------------------------

When I imported my batch of music into MBP > Music folder, I then used: Edit > Add to Library... and selected all the albums as I've done previously on other devices but that didn't have the iTunes management in preferences turned on:

• iTunes > Prefs > Advanced > ___ Keep iTunes Media folder organized
  • iTunes > Prefs > Advanced > ___ Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library

So the music I imported and placed into Music from Mac Pro was copied (and left in Music) and copied to the Music folder inside iT Media and to the iT Library.

When I launch iTunes the source of the music I'm seeing is not what I wanted (music inside */Music) but rather: */Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music

THE FIX?

I'm sure you know what I want. I'm not though the out come of what I want to try:

1.Prefs are no set with Advanced org turned off

2. If I trash iTunes Media folder, and then invoke Edit > Add to Library and select my music in */Music, will I end up with both the previous name titles that where in the iTunes Media folder plus the newly added */Music titles? And have to manually delete 1,000s of no longer found iTunes Media Albums/songs? Or is iTunes smart enough to update the existing library to: no songs? And THEN I can iTunes > Edit > Add to Library?

3. Delete:

iTunes > iTunes Media

iTunes > iTunes Music Library.xml

iTunes > Previous iTunes Libraries

Possibly some Library > preferences?

And THEN re-add my music in the */Music folder with iTunes > Edit > Add to Library

Or is there a wiser better method awaiting me... ?

Thx,

S

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 4-Core Mid 2012

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 6:54 AM

There are no replies.

best way to fix bad iTunes import to Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.