Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting device with cable to extended airport extreme possible?

In my current setup, i do have an airport time capsule in the living with a Philips Hue base station connected to it.

The hue light bulbs are however in the bedroom at the other side of the apartment and thus the connection is quite spotty there.

Now i've read that you can use an airport express or airport extreme to extend the wifi reach of a time capsule without connecting them with an ethernet cable.

But what i cannot find is if it is possible to then connect a device (i.e., the Hue base station) with an ethernet cable to the airport express/extreme which is extending the wifi.

But is this possible? Or is the extending airport extreme/express only capable of relaying the wifi signal itself?

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 6:16 AM

Now i've read that you can use an airport express or airport extreme to extend the wifi reach of a time capsule without connecting them with an ethernet cable.

That is correct.....but it also assumes that the extending AirPort device will be located where it can receive a good quality wireless signal from the Time Capsule.

But what i cannot find is if it is possible to then connect a device (i.e., the Hue base station) with an ethernet cable to the airport express/extreme which is extending the wifi.

But is this possible? Or is the extending airport extreme/express only capable of relaying the wifi signal itself?

Since the AirPort.....either an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme will be extending the network......the Ethernet ports on the extending device are enabled, so you could connect Ethernet devices to the Ethernet ports on the extending AirPort.

But.....and this is a big BUT......the quality of the Ethernet signal at the extending AirPort is only going to be as good as the quality of the wireless connection that exists between the Time Capsule and the extending AirPort.

So, it would be good idea to temporarily move your laptop or other wireless device to the exact location where you plan to install the extending AirPort device.....to test the wireless connection quality at that point. If you can get a good, solid connection, then the extending AirPort will probably work OK for your purposes.

If you decide to go ahead and try an AirPort in the role of an extender, it would also be a good idea to make sure that you understand the store's return policy before you buy. In cases like this, you just don't know exactly how well......or if.....the extending AirPort will work for your purpose until you actually try it out in your home.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2015 6:16 AM in response to mvherweg

That is correct.....but it also assumes that the extending AirPort device will be located where it can receive a good quality wireless signal from the Time Capsule.

Since the AirPort.....either an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme will be extending the network......the Ethernet ports on the extending device are enabled, so you could connect Ethernet devices to the Ethernet ports on the extending AirPort.

But.....and this is a big BUT......the quality of the Ethernet signal at the extending AirPort is only going to be as good as the quality of the wireless connection that exists between the Time Capsule and the extending AirPort.

So, it would be good idea to temporarily move your laptop or other wireless device to the exact location where you plan to install the extending AirPort device.....to test the wireless connection quality at that point. If you can get a good, solid connection, then the extending AirPort will probably work OK for your purposes.

If you decide to go ahead and try an AirPort in the role of an extender, it would also be a good idea to make sure that you understand the store's return policy before you buy. In cases like this, you just don't know exactly how well......or if.....the extending AirPort will work for your purpose until you actually try it out in your home.

Jul 4, 2015 7:03 AM in response to mvherweg

I was aware of the caveats you mention

Unfortunately, most users are not. They tend to think that they can locate an extender where they have a poor signal now, and the extender will magically fix the issue 😉

Since you appear to be trying to control a lighting device, the AirPort Express might be just fine.

If you are also looking for the best wireless performance extension (and faster Ethernet ports), then the AirPort Extreme would be the way to go.

Good luck! Let us know how the extender is working, if you can.

Connecting device with cable to extended airport extreme possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.