Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using disk Utility I received this message when attempting to reformat a corrupt unit. It asked was I sure I wanted to erase the partition. Erasing a partition deletes all the data on that partition, but does not affect other partitions on the same

Using disk Utility I received this message when attempting to reformat a corrupt unit. It asked was I sure I wanted to erase the partition. Erasing a partition deletes all the data on that partition, but does not affect other partitions on the same disk. What should I do?

external drives-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 6:08 AM

3 replies

Jul 5, 2015 6:52 AM in response to Csound1

Yes, when re-formatting a drive, you are deleting the partition and installing a new one, which deletes all existing data. Do you want to delete the data and reformat the drive, nor not? That's the question, simple, leave the drive as-is, or reformat it (which erases)? There is no in-between.

Using disk Utility I received this message when attempting to reformat a corrupt unit. It asked was I sure I wanted to erase the partition. Erasing a partition deletes all the data on that partition, but does not affect other partitions on the same

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.