Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme does not show up on Airport utility

I have recently bought an Airport Extreme from Ebay model No. A1143 (i know old generation). I currently own a late 2013 iMac running OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite running Airport utility version 6.3.5. When I connect the AE I've noticed that it does not show up under the globe in airport utility..however it is recognize under other wi-fi devices...Once I click on the AE it goes through it configuration and pairing and then it tells me that "This version of Airport Utility requires this Airport Extreme use firmware version 7.3.1 or later" how can update this firmware if i cannot get access to the AE via airport utility? Help.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 8:42 AM

1 reply

Jul 4, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Romoe2g

Unfortunately, the AirPort Extreme is so old that newer operating systems on the Mac will not support the version of original firmware that was supplied with the AirPort Extreme.

To update the firmware on the AirPort Extreme, you will need a Mac that is running a much older operating system like Leopard or Snow Leopard.....or a PC that has AirPort Utility installed on the device.

Once you update the firmware.....then.....AirPort Utility in Yosemite will be able to administer the older AirPort.

If you can.....things would be a lot simpler to return the older AirPort for a refund and try to get a more recent product. You would want to make sure that the AirPort was running firmware 7.6.1 or higher.

Airport extreme does not show up on Airport utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.