Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Decline of Apple Quality - Rotation Problem OS 8.4

how does Apple release an update with such a glaring problem? This is just another problem that NEVER would have happened with Steve Jobs in control.

I am very disappointed in Apple.

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 6:32 AM

10 replies

Jul 4, 2015 7:21 AM in response to vinbel

I suggest you start a new question that gives a good title to a specific problem. Then in the body of the thread describe the problem in detail, tell us what steps you have tried so far to correct the problem, what happened, and what error messages you received.

I have an iPad Air and it shows no rotation problem with iOS 8.4.

Jul 4, 2015 8:55 AM in response to vinbel

I believe the OP is speaking of this:

iOS 8.4 screen rotation not working

I have the same issue under certain circumstances.

"If the device is left to sleep for longer than one minute and is unlocked on via the Sleep/Wake or Home button, the screen will come on after an approx one second delay compared to my mini 2. In this case, the Air 2's screen rotation will longer work, either on the Lock Screen nor the Home Screen. To fix this temporarily, press the Sleep/Wake button to sleep the device, then immediately press it (or the Home button) to wake. The screen will now rotate properly until the next time the device goes to sleep for longer than one minute and is awakened via the Sleep/Wake or Home button. If the device is awakened via a Smart Cover or Smart Case (magnetically), there is no issue.

The two issues seem to be directly related to each other."

Jul 4, 2015 10:01 AM in response to kb1951

After updating to 8.4 my iPaid Air 2 does not rotate to landscape unless I turn I turn it off and then back on again. A "hard reset" also solves the problem.

Unfortunately, both of the aforementioned solutions are short lived, and I have to repeatedly perform the above...

A Permanent solution would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 4, 2015 10:38 AM in response to vinbel

Although more of a work-around rather than a solution, I've found what causes the rotation issue. Posted in a different/related topic but I'll post it here as well.

I seem to have found the setting that causes the rotation issue is manifest itself. If would help if others could try this and report back...

If the Reduce Motion setting is turned ON under Settings/General/Accessibility/Reduce Motion, the screen will not rotate correctly

If the Reduce Motion setting is turned OFF under Settings/General/Accessibility/Reduce Motion, the screen will rotate correctly

I have always enabled Reduce Motion since it was introduced in iOS 7 as it is just personally annoying to me.

Also note that this setting does not affect the ~1 second delayed startup. This seems to point to the two issues (delayed unlock & no screen rotation) now being unrelated as I originally thought.

iOS 8.4 screen rotation not working

Jul 5, 2015 5:27 AM in response to SergZak

SergZak is onto the problem... Toggling the "reduce motion" setting restores rotation. after reading SerZak's post, my iPad Air 2 rotation locked up again. I cycled power and upon restart, turned off "reduce motion". Shortly afterwards, the rotation locked up again. I turned "reduce motion" back on and rotation was restored.

Thanks to SergZak for the work around. Hopefully, the great almighty Apple issues a fix soon.

The Decline of Apple Quality - Rotation Problem OS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.