Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple tells me I now require WIndows 7 to download itunes

I got an ipod last week, and downloaded itunes on my Windows 64-bit Vista laptop. I downloaded about 200 songs and everything worked great. Last night I went to add some music and my itunes was gone. The icon was on the desktop, but there was nothing there. I tried redownloading it, but now it says "Installer requires Windows 7 or higher" What?? I called Apple, and the idiot on the phone says, "Well, if thats what it says, I guess you have to get Windows 7 sir. Goodbye." Ivve tried removing all Apple products, then re installing. Ive tried installing itunes 10.8 specifically for Vista, but it wont read my library because 10.8 is too old. Does anyone have a suggestion before I toss this POS ipod in the dumpster? Thank you.

iPod classic, Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 8:41 PM

Ummm.... the previous version. Simple. No sense getting worked up over it.

Apple - Support - Downloads

You should be more concerned about the fact you're still running Vista.

3 replies

Jul 4, 2015 10:46 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Hmmm...previous what? I downloaded itunes 12.1 initially, then it disappeared. I went onto itunes, and it only shows 12.2, which will not download without windows 7 or higher. Ive been running Vista since it was released, and have never had any issues with it. Why do I get the feeling that this is merely a way to sell new computers and to auto-eliminate older systems? Oh, I know. Because it is.They are obsolete 24 hours after its purchased, requiring everyone to spend more and more money.

YOU should be more concerned with the fact that you are willing to spend all your money to have the "next best thing" and ultimately pay for their CEOs vacations and numerous homes because "Oh, I have to buy a new "updated" whatever so my whole life is easier? Well, ok. I guess if thats what they say I have to do"

I did, however learn something with my 48 hour ownership of an Apple product. I learned that the company and all of the sheep that aimlessly follow along behind them with their wallets open belong together. The customer support knows absolutely NOTHING about their own product, and the "sheep" all think that their Apple product is better than anything else or anyone else'. Pretty pathetic, and I should have known better. My fault, but I wont make that mistake again.

Jul 5, 2015 12:48 PM in response to stixandstrings

These are the two most recent builds of iTunes compatible with 64-bit Windows Vista.

The second is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all version of iTunes prior to 12.1. I work better on some 64-bit systems.

See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates if you have problems with the installation.

If you recently bought your device from an Apple Store you may be able to take advantage of a no quibble return policy.

tt2

Apple tells me I now require WIndows 7 to download itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.