Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I need to here?

I have a MBP that I usually carry with me while on the road but will be using at home with newly acquired attached printer/scanner, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. I haven't set up these peripherals yet (except for mouse) but I assume it's going to require going through the reinstall process for each one every time I have to attach my laptop. What can I do or buy to avoid the whole reinstall problem that'll simply let me just "plug in" the MBP every time? Will a docking station or some other unit help? Thanks up front for any help or suggestions. Your expertise has been a big help for a non-techie old **** on more than one occasion.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 8:23 AM

3 replies

Jul 4, 2015 8:29 AM in response to EAlton

It will make it easier to help you w/ your problem to know know more information about your computer; size, exact year built, RAM installed and OS you're running. Any history prior to your incident would also be helpful.

"I assume it's going to require going through the reinstall process for each one every time I have to attach my laptop."

The only thing that should require drivers would be the printer/scanner. Search on the makers website for the driver for your OS.

The rest should just plug and play; monitor, keyboard.

The monitor you'd set up:

OS X: How to use multiple displays with your Mac in Mountain Lion and earlier - Apple Support

other options here:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=macbook+pro+setting+up+external+monitor

Jul 4, 2015 2:37 PM in response to spudnuty

Thanks very much, spudnuty. The info you suggested I provide is:

13 inch mid 2012

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F2542)

Memory: 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I'll be unboxing and installing the monitor and printer shortly, so I'm glad to hear it'll probably be a good deal easier to disconnect/re-connect each time I have to. Will post an update on my progress. But, once again, I really appreciate the info.

What do I need to here?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.