Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort slows download speed

I receive internet by rooftop antennae. Cable enters the house and connects to the latest AirPort Extreme. It makes a strong signal throughout the house, BUT it slows my download speed considerably. If I attach an ethernet cable directly to my computer, my Speedtest shows exactly the speed promised me for what I'm paying. So what is the problem and what can I do about it?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 7:17 AM

5 replies

Jul 4, 2015 8:07 AM in response to James Glynn

If I attach an ethernet cable directly to my computer, my Speedtest shows exactly the speed promised me for what I'm paying.

To troubleshoot a wireless speed issue, you must first make sure that Ethernet is working correctly.

You mentioned that you connected your Mac directly to the Ethernet cable, and that speeds are OK that way.

Did you test by connecting your Mac directly to one of the Ethernet LAN ports on the AirPort Extreme and check that way? We ask, because if the Ethernet speed is slow this way, then so too will be the wireless....even more so.

However, if the Ethernet speed is OK when you connect your Mac to an Ethernet port on the AirPort Extreme, then that tells you that you have a wireless issue that will need further investigation. Wireless interference from other sources is a major culprit for wireless connections.

If you connect your Mac to one of the Ethernet ports on the AirPort Extreme, is the speed about the same as when you connect the Ethernet cable to your Mac?

Jul 6, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes, if I connect my Mac to one of the Eternet ports on the AirPort, the speed is about the same as when I bypass the AirPort and connect the cable directly to my Mac. But using wireless it's considerably slower on download speed and much slower on upload speed. So that means I have a "wireless issue"? What can I do? Can I keep one cable connected directly to my Mac and at least have that working at better speed and will that interfere at all with the wireless function for iPads, phones, etc?

Jul 6, 2015 10:12 AM in response to James Glynn

Can I keep one cable connected directly to my Mac and at least have that working at better speed

Yes, if that is convenient. It is always much better to use use a wired connection if possible, since there are so many things that can affect a wireless signal and slow down the speed of the connection.

and will that interfere at all with the wireless function for iPads, phones, etc?

Not at all.

However, if you want to troubleshoot the wireless issue that you may be having, it is best to use a Mac laptop to get more accurate results. Do you have a Mac laptop that you can use to conduct some tests on the wireless?

Jul 6, 2015 1:40 PM in response to James Glynn

OK, that will really help, as mobile devices like iPhone, iPad, etc are not very good wireless performers at all.

For the first "test" please locate your laptop about 8-10 feet away from the AirPort Extreme with clear line-of-sight between the Mac and AirPort.

Run a speed check and note your results. How does that compare to the direct wired Ethernet connection when you connected directly to the AirPort Extreme?

Next, move the laptop further away.....20-25 feet or so, but still with clear line-of-sight between the Mac and AirPort and note the results.

Next, move the laptop into the next room, so that there is one wall in the signal path between the Mac and AirPort and note your results.

Next, move the laptop such that there are 2 walls in the signal path and note the results.

Finally, move the laptop as far away as you would ever normally need in the house and note the results that way.

Post back when you can with your findings.

AirPort slows download speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.