Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupt book downloads

My wife and I share an AppleID for our purchases. These include iOS apps, OS X apps, music, films, tv programmes and books.

We have separate iCloud accounts for all other cloud data.

My wife has a mid 2011 iMac with 10.10.4, an iPhone 5S with iOS8.4 and an iPad 2 with iOS7.

I have have late 2013 rMBP with 10.10.4 and an iPhone 6+ with iOS8.4

Now if my wife purchases or downloads a book on any of her computer or devices, they are corrupt and cannot be opened.

If I download the same publications to my equipment, they are OK and can be opened and read.

If I delete them off her OS X iBooks app and downloading them again, they are still corrupt.

If I delete them off her iOS iBooks app on either her iPad or iPhone, again when they are downloaded, they are corrupt.

I can delete them as much as I like and download them to my computer and phone, all books are OK.

Does anyone have any idea why one set of equipment are corrupt and the other all OK?

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 7:21 AM

3 replies

Jul 7, 2015 2:28 AM in response to NavyChop61

I wouldn't hold your breath for a quick fix from Apple as I'm suspecting that its a very isolated issue and may not even know that the problem exists. I did a bit of searching before posting my issue with very few issues even close. By all means log a report with Apple at https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html as I have.

I have done a little more testing since I first posted with the following results;

• I logged onto my user account on the iMac and downloaded the same books. Result: Corrupt
  • Creating a new user account on the iMac using my AppleID still does not allow a readable copy of the book to be installed.
  • Copying the book file from my working computer to the iMac does not allow the book to even open. I suspect that there is a receipt file missing somewhere outside the ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books folder.
  • Erasing all setting and data on the iPad and setting up as new, download a book, the book is readable.
  • Syncing the new iPad to iTunes and transferring the purchased book to the OS X iBooks library, makes it corrupt on OS X.
  • I have reinstalled the full 10.10.4 installer over the current build with no change to the results.

So I suspect that there is something corrupt on the OS X build and when the devices are synced, the corruption is being synced over to the iOS iBooks process/app in the device

Next attempt will be a fresh install of 10.10.4 onto the iMac and see if it works before and after I migrate the old data from my Time Machine backup.

Jul 8, 2015 2:00 PM in response to actionmarker

Update:

I installed a fresh build onto a separate partition and I can now download readable books to that OS X build.

I have then used Migration Assistant to migrate over Applications only and I can still read, delete and download readable books.

So at least I know if I reinstall the computer fresh I can use the application again. If this is the permanent fix for me I will live with that as the computer had been running upgrades since Lion, so a fresh build probably would do it any harm,

I'll go back to the original build a see if there is anything else that I can find that may be causing the issue before I go down the rebuild path.

Corrupt book downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.