Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TC will not find my wireless network

I have a BT Hub5 and the TC will not find the network when I want it to extend the BT network. This even happens when the TC is sitting beside the hub. It has never been able to find the hub. I have an AirPort Express and that has no problems.

(1) could it be that the reception ability of wireless signal on the TC is faulty? Is there a way of checking? (I have rebooted once already)

(2) is there a setting on the BT Hub that enables extension (Unlikely as the AirPort Express works)

Any help will be greatly appreciated

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 7:22 AM

6 replies

Jul 4, 2015 7:47 AM in response to Jerry4hug

(1) could it be that the reception ability of wireless signal on the TC is faulty? Is there a way of checking? (I have rebooted once already)

Possible, but highly unlikely.

(2) is there a setting on the BT Hub that enables extension (Unlikely as the AirPort Express works)

No. If you have an AirPort Express that is wirelessly connecting to the BT network, it is "joining" that network for use with AirPlay or a remote USB printer. The Express cannot "extend" the BT wireless network signal.

To confirm, here is what Apple's product information sheet says about the AirPort Express:

Extend an existing Wi‑Fi network’s range.

If you already have a wireless network in your home and want to extend its range, AirPort Express can help. Just place it in range of your primary base station — an AirPort Extreme, AirPort Time Capsule, or another AirPort Express

Like the AirPort Express, the TC can only wirelessly extend a network that it being provided by another Apple AirPort router.

If you can connect the TC to your BT hub using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection, then you can configure the TC to provide a wireless network signal.....which the AirPort Express can wirelessly extend (assuming that you have a recent version of the AirPort Express).

Jul 4, 2015 8:10 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Like the AirPort Express, the TC can only wirelessly extend a network that it being provided by another Apple AirPort router.

If you can connect the TC to your BT hub using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection, then you can configure the TC to provide a wireless network signal.....which the AirPort Express can wirelessly extend (assuming that you have a recent version of the AirPort Express).

Thanks Bob,

but....

from your statement in italics does this mean that the TC will not receive unless it is from an Apple product? I am sure I have read it will receive from any router if set in Bridge mode (mine is)

Your second statement: The whole reason I acquired the TC was to have it running an extended network some distance from the router (and provide networked printer access)

Interestingly I get green lights and the router (in management mode) sees the TC when it is in create a new network mode... - I don't really want a second network, one will do

Jul 4, 2015 8:32 AM in response to Jerry4hug

does this mean that the TC will not receive unless it is from an Apple product?

Yes, that is what I meant when I said that........the TC can only wirelessly extend a network that it being provided by another Apple AirPort router.

I am sure I have read it will receive from any router if set in Bridge mode (mine is)

Unfortunately, if you did read that the TC will wirelessly connect to a third party wireless network, what you read is not correct.

Your second statement: The whole reason I acquired the TC was to have it running an extended network some distance from the router (and provide networked printer access)

Then, if you are not willing to connect the TC to your BT hub using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection, you may need to return the TC for credit or a refund.

Even if the TC could do what you want, (it cannot), this would be the worst possible way to connect the TC to a network.....since you would have a "double hop" wireless situation if you did this.

TC will not find my wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.