Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning pinwheel

All of a sudden, the spinning pinwheel is staying around for a long time when using the Internet. Pages will sometimes load up quickly, then stall for several minutes while the pinwheel spins. When scrolling down a page, the pinwheel will reappear and several minutes will pass before we are able to scroll again or choose another window. When going to another program, such as mail, pinwheel disappears and speed is more normal. Have tried turning off & restarting modem & router with no affect. I am able to search and browse with no problem on my iPad. My husband recently updated flash (Adobe) and wonder if that could be an issue. I tried deleting it and restarting the computer, but it didn't seem to help. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 8:38 AM

9 replies

Jul 4, 2015 1:11 PM in response to lwsnfmly

If your Mac is running v10.7.5 Lion as your profile suggests, be aware, Apple no longer provides updates for Lion wihch includes Safari which is probably why you're seeing the pinwheels.

See if you can upgrade your Mac to Yosemite > How to install OS X Yosemite on your Mac - Apple Support

Yosemite is free and available for download at the App Store.

As with any upgrade, make sure to backup all your important data prior to installing Yosemite.

Jul 5, 2015 6:53 AM in response to ctseahorse86

You are entitled to 90 day telephone support from Apple. Try contacting them.

Apple Support contact - Telephone

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Caches.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

Jul 6, 2015 4:13 PM in response to Eric Root

I have the same issue... new Macbook 12'' with latest softwares. I Clear History, Web Site Data, Caches, Extensions ... and Safari 8.0.7 are continuos doing the same. In 5 minutes of use, stop all and spinning pinwheel for approximate one minute. This is really annoying... and have to change the browser waiting the solution and now I will using Firefox.

Jul 6, 2015 4:34 PM in response to Eric Root

I have the same issue... new Macbook 12'' with latest softwares. I cleaned history, web site data, caches, uninstalled extensions, flash (adobe) ... and Safari 8.0.7 keeps doing the same. In five minutes of use, stop all and spinning pinwheel for approximately one minute. When I click in this web form to write this text some times it spinning and I have to wait. This is really annoying... impossible to use. This problem is with characteristics of a thread programming bug, with the thread wait for resource that is unavailable. I changed the browser waiting the Apple solution and now I'm using Firefox... and after use it, I think it is very, very fast. Better than Safari, not only for this bug.

Jul 8, 2015 12:47 AM in response to Eric Root

I found the problem was. Fortunately, I bought a new Time Capsule router to replace my old (third generation) today. My Time Capsule was working but I suspected that no so good. it had hard disk problems some month ago. After replace my Time Capsule the Safari stopped showing spinning pinwheel and all OS X interface system seems faster. Now is evident that the problem was on the network. But Safari (and OS X Yosemite) have response delay problems when the network connection is not stable, which in a way is not a good thing. But it has now been solved at least. So all people that have the same problem needs revise your network.

Jul 8, 2015 12:49 AM in response to lwsnfmly

I found the problem was. Fortunately, I bought a new Time Capsule router to replace my old (third generation) today. My Time Capsule was working but I suspected that no so good. it had hard disk problems some month ago. After replace my Time Capsule the Safari stopped showing spinning pinwheel and all OS X interface system seems faster. Now is evident that the problem was on the network. But Safari (and OS X Yosemite) have response delay problems when the network connection is not stable, which in a way is not a good thing. But it has now been solved at least. So all people that have the same problem needs revise your network.

Spinning pinwheel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.