Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air decided to break in China + data retrieval

Hello!

I find myself in a bit of a pickle. A big pickle.

So I'm in China for 5 months, and of course, my 2013 MacBook Air decides to break. GREAT. To summarize, one morning I woke up to a laptop that would not turn on. I usually let my battery die every night, so it's no biggie. I plug in the charger, the little light on the charger turns on, but alas, my computer does not to turn on. After waiting 15 min, it still refuses to turn on. I search online, and decide to do a reboot - the " control + option + shift+ power". The charges light turns off, and does not turn on back again, and great, my laptop is still not working.

I assume it's a problem with the battery? When I would plug it in, if I would pass my hand on the under of the laptop after a long period of time of charging, it would have a slight vibrating sensation. But, what makes me wonder is that I had checked my batteries condition a few weeks previous, and it said the battery was perfectly fine. Another thing that may pinpoint to a deeper problem was my fan would turn on heavily even if I was only watching videos. But, I only thought that this was because of the weather conditions ( 35 + celcius)

Since I do not have a apple care, I brought it to get checked out at some shops. The first shop said it was the battery, now the second is saying that it is a bigger problem, and that I may lose some data. Losing data is a big no-no, so I'm extremely scared they're just playing with it to get some money out of a foreigner. Sooooo, my question is, do the problems my laptop have indicate a failed battery, or does it indicate a much bigger problem like the mother board crashing, or hard drive etc…. I don't think it's that because my laptop was running great the day previous. It showed no signs of usage, virus, or failing mother board.

I think I'm just going to buy a cheap laptop, and bring back my mac to get it fixed in Canada. However, if my mac is broken, it is possible to retrieve the data? And can I retrieve the data by myself, like connecting a thunderbolt cable to another mac, and retrieve the date even though my laptop does not turn on?

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 8:36 AM

There are no replies.

MacBook Air decided to break in China + data retrieval

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.