Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 - cloud icon not syncing

Here is my 3 day, maddening dilemma. I have searched high and low for a resolution with no success:

iMac Yosemite 10.10.4, iTunes 12.2, iOS 8.4 on all devices

1) When I add from Apple Music to my library and/or playlist on mobile devices, they show up on mobile but not mac with iTunes.

2) When I try to add from Apple Music on my mac, it does not do it. Same with modifying playlist - they do not sync to mobile devices. On the top right of my iTunes, there is a cloud with a lightning icon inside it and it says "unable to access your iTunes purchases. Click to retry". I keep clicking on it and nothing happens.

I have signed out of iTunes and signed back in, turned off iCloud and turned back on, restarted, and retried - all with no success. Is this an issue at my end (settings, etc) or a known defect of the recent changes? Any solutions or ideas of the issue? Thanks!!!

itunes 12.2-OTHER, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 8:48 AM

17 replies

Jul 4, 2015 10:02 PM in response to sberman

User uploaded file

I've ticked/unticked with various combinations to see if the problem would go away and it hasn't on either the iMac or MacBook Air.. I checked that my Apple ID is signed in on the store parts as well as Apple Music, and that too signed out/signed in tried various combinations on both computers, same problem..

I even created a new user on the Mac and tested iTunes with my apple ID, same problem happening.

Jul 5, 2015 7:06 AM in response to HairGuitar

Sorry for the constant posts, but I found the fix!!!

Signed out of both Macs (iTunes Store, Apple Music, and unticked Show Apple Music and iCloud Music Library), gave it a minute or so then signed up to each device one at a time.

Playlists returned and access to my music and Apple Music has returned on both iMac and MacBook Air! Please let me know if you folks have the same success with this method!!!

Jul 8, 2015 12:07 PM in response to kurtisallen

It appears to be hit and miss on the sync; it will work for a while then stop. At work (where I use iCloud exclusively), it will work for a bit then he library goes gray and the "broken sync cloud" shows back up. This means at least it's not my home internet or any issues with my iMac. I have yet to run into any issues using my devices (iPhone, iPad) with Apple Music; actually pretty pleased with it. But I use my iMac to edit playlists (personal preference), and it is driving me mad to spend 30 minutes making one then having it eithe disappear or show up partially.

Jul 9, 2015 9:14 AM in response to HairGuitar

Same boat here. Apple support was worse than useless on the problem also. After their failed attempts, tried to simply clear everything out as a last resort. Deleted my iTunes library file, signed out of everything, cleared it all out so it was like I'd never opened iTunes before. Opened it up, it created a new library, added one album. It worked fine. So I added another, worked fine. Went to Apple Music, added an album to "my music" and it showed up, downloaded for offline use. So far so good.

Closed iTunes, opened it again, broken again. Can't even add my own music to the library, forget syncing, can't even add a song to my library on the computer. Syncing is broke as well. NOTHING you do or add on one device syncs over to the other. Can't add anything from Apple Music. I've got no more time to **** with this. I loved it for the first week or so, but this is ridiculous. It basically behaves worse than an alpha, it's not even as functional as a beta. What's worse is that you can call support and they have absolutely no idea what to do either or what's causing it. In fact when I had called, they made the situation worse and nearly caused me to actually delete all my physical files.

Jul 9, 2015 1:26 PM in response to HairGuitar

I suspect this has something to do with iCloud Music Request Throttling....

I ran into the issue this morning after going over my library and marking songs "loved" for an hour or so. My songs all greyed out and none of the changes I made in iTunes surfaced on my iPhone.

After work, I came back to iTunes 12.2 and could access my iCloud Music Library once again. So, I decided to continue with my exercise of training Apple Music with songs I love. After an short while the issue came back again. This time I clicked the cloud icon in the right corner and iTunes would reconnect to my iCloud Music Library. I could then "love" one or two songs before it went offline again.

I remember reading somewhere in the Apple Music search API that requests are throttled and Apple only allows so many at a time.

I'm curious, all those having this issue - were you making big changes to your library when your iCloud Music Library went dark?

Rob.

Jul 9, 2015 1:32 PM in response to robfromrockville

Yes, I was. When I do yearly/seasonal playlists, I just sort library by year then add all to playlist. I then whittle them down, sometimes deleting a whole block of songs at a time. That is specifically when things go sideways. It drives me bananas.

Can you elaborate on the throttled situation? Is this a permanent part of Apple Music or just a bug. Do you have any links I could look at to understand the issue more?

Jul 9, 2015 1:49 PM in response to HairGuitar

All great questions - I hope this issue isn't here to stay, otherwise Apple is going to have a whole lot of unhappy customers.

I didn't find specific mention of a throttling limit, but when using the iTunes Search API I ran into issues when sending too many requests in a short space of time. Searching the web led me to a similar question by someone else:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12596300/itunes-search-api-rate-limit

I work with Microsoft's cloud services too, and they impose restrictions on their services - it's to prevent DoS attacks, so would not surprise me if Apple has similar throttling going on.

Did the wait for an hour or so trick work for you?

Jul 10, 2015 10:34 AM in response to robfromrockville

Update - last night I took my time updating my 90's, 00's and 10's playlist. Whittled them down methodically to 300 songs each and never once got the "broken cloud" as before. Success, right? WRONG.

I opened up my iTunes today at work that is iCloud only and the playlists are less than they were yesterday, but still double or more the 300! I have ZERO idea why - I checked my iTunes on my iMac at home before leaving this morning and everything was correct and no "broken cloud". I closed iTunes and shut down iMac just to make sure it would work. So much for that!

Another crazy quirk - my 80's playlist is at an even 1,000 songs (100 from each decade, yes I know I have issues). Here at work it is at 1,000, but a home it is 999 with 1 song missing from 1985. I have no idea yet what song is the issue, but cannot fathom WHY!

All I want is to pay Apple $14.99/mo for my entire family to use Apple Music as it's intended and NOT MESS WITH MY LIBRARY/PLAYLISTS! How hard can it be?! Everything I do on any device should automatically update ALL devices - THAT IS THE SELLING POINT OF THE CLOUD!!

Sorry for the yelling - I am an Apple groupie (iMac, Macbook, 3 Apple TV's, Apple AirPort, 4 iPhones, 2 iPads, paid iCloud storage for photos) and up until this year, never had issues; which is why I loved Apple products. But starting this year with the switch to Photos from iPhoto to now this with iTunes/Apple Music and all the isses (don't get me started with the Photos bugs/craziness), things have gone downhill fast. The most frustrating thing is that the issues appear to be simple - things are not syncing as they should. And there is no clear answer why or any solutions (to date).

Rant over (for now)

Jul 11, 2015 6:58 AM in response to HairGuitar

After a week or so, I think I have finally found a work around to this madness. This is still crazy that Apple has not fixed this yet, but this will do for now.

1) Close Music on ALL devices (iPhones, iPads) that use your iCloud login

2) Turn off ALL devices (iPhones, iPads) that use your iCloud login

3) Open iTunes in mac. Select Account/Update Genius. This will sync to iCloud what playlists/library you have at the current moment.

4) Once it is done, turn on each device and open Music. Everything should be as it should be.

This worked for me this morning, so at least my devices are synced now. This does not fix the issue of the "broken cloud" issue or explain why this is happening.

Hope this helps!

iTunes 12.2 - cloud icon not syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.