Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet stalling (not a Wifi problem)

On my iMac (purchased in 2009, OS updated), the connection to the internet frequently stalls. Went through all the usual cache-clearing, history-deleting stuff, no change. Wifi works and the Wifi works just fine on my Macbook, iPad and iPhone. A call to Apple Support didn't resolve the problem, service person thought it might be some internal antenna (?) problem. Contemplating just buying a new iMac anyway, but before I do that, any thoughts?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 10:29 AM

3 replies

Jul 4, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Gary Karr

Run a direct ethernet cable between your Mac and the wireless router's LAN port. Especially if the router is within 5 meters/15 feet. Overlapping wireless waves can interfere with your connection. That will eliminate any probability that you aren't too close to the router.

If the iMac is more than 15 feet away, try seeing if turning off all other WiFi devices improves matters.

Remember networking is a shared activity.

Make sure your WiFi has WPA2 encryption enabled, as WEP is insecure. Other wireless devices as far away as 500 meters/1500 feet can tap into your network and slow you down if it isn't encrypted properly.

Internet stalling (not a Wifi problem)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.