Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I select cells by a word (e.g expenditure) to be automatically added together?

I am budgeting for the first time and want my spreadsheet to recognize different words eg. food, travel, toiletries and add the values in the cell next to these words to the correct cell in my 'totals' table. Does anyone know if this is possible in numbers? And if so how to do it?

Thanks!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 10:10 AM

3 replies

Jul 4, 2015 5:14 PM in response to mpd1989

The SUMIF() function will do this. Here's a sample formula, taken from the Checking Register template supplied with Numbers '09. In the example, the formula as shown is entered in cell B2 of your "Totals" table, and filled down column B for as many rows as you have categories.

"Transactions" is the name of the table on which each transaction is recorded: Category in column D, Amount in column E. "A2" needs no table name as it is on the same table ("Totals") as the formula. Replace the table name and column designations to fit your case.

=SUMIF(Transactions :: $D,A2,Transactions :: E)

Regards,

Barry

Can I select cells by a word (e.g expenditure) to be automatically added together?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.