Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp overheat macbook pro late 2014

I have a late 2014 macbook pro and i just installed windows 8.1 through bootcamp. Problem is that my temperature readings are way high when the only thing running is the OS+whatever bootcamp installed. i only let the computer run windows for a few minutes to update and then turn it off. None of the updates seem to improve the situation. i forcibly adjusted the fan range so that the fans were at least 4000 rpm and the temps still run high (140's or higher). The weird part is that the temps seem to jump to 170s then down to 130's then back to stabilize in the upper 140's. I read somewhere that laptops often have bad thermal paste and the paste is commonly put on wrong during production. Although, I'm saving hardware tinkering as a last resort as that can lead to more problems. In OS X the temps around 120 with nothing else open. Not sure why but downloads seem to cause the temps to jump. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 1:12 PM

Please look under Power Options -> Advanced Settings -> Minimum Processor state and make sure it 5% or less. If is at 5%, click on Apply anyway and test.

User uploaded file

4 replies

Jul 4, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Loner T

My temps at idle fell to the 110's after doing that. The lower end stayed the same but i did adjust the maximum to 80%. That seems to have eliminated my spikes in temperature. Since it does appear to be a heat generation problem, i am going to go and replace the stock thermal paste to get a few more degrees shaven off. Thank you for your help.

Jul 4, 2015 4:43 PM in response to Loner T

i know that the thermal paste does not NEED replacing but it is widely known that stock paste,regardless of manufacturer, is not good. In OS X, i have a third party fan control program changing the default min fan speed from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm in order to maintain temperatures in the 100's(100-110). Windows is now only slightly higher than OS X in terms of idle temperatures. The weirdest thing is that downloading causes my CPU temp in OS X to increase by around 10 degrees. Not sure why such a common task causes so much trouble. Windows is plagued with the same problem. I wouldn't say downloading at 2 Mb/s is a strenuous task for modern computers.

Bootcamp overheat macbook pro late 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.