Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing my hard drive at home with my iphone

I have an external HD connected to my iMac via USB. It contains my entire iTunes library (movies and music) and would like to be able to access it with my phone or laptop when I am away. The router I am using is an AirPort Extreme if it makes any difference. Is this possible with my current set-up?

iMac, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 10:19 AM

2 replies

Jul 4, 2015 4:02 PM in response to MikeB_UA

So far no.. if you mean officially.. Apple has provided no method for iOS to do remote connections to home network.. a Mac can use BTMM.. an ipad etc cannot.

There are apps made to help you get access to your local network.. how well they work is up to you to work out.. they will never be 100%.. each and every setup is different.

http://www.stratospherix.com/support/gsw_timecapsule.php?page=6remote

The SMB file access can be directed to the computer instead of the AE disk, although I have to say it would be easier with USB plugged into the AE.

Otherwise you have to also remotely wake the Mac.

But remember also you have slower upload.. and what Apple really want you to do is use cloud services.

Accessing my hard drive at home with my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.