Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to Manually Manage music in 12.2?

After doing the 12.2 upgrade on my 27'iMac, after connecting my iPhone 6, I noticed that the on the Summary page where I used to manually manage my music, that option is gone. There is a checkbox for Manually Manage Videos but not Music.

What? How can I no longer be giving the option of what I want to download to my iPhone? It's true I have 128 GB but I couldn't possibly transfer my entire iTunes Library which has 8000+ songs in it, comprised of not just iTunes purchases but my entire CD library which was ripped.

Can someone explain why Manually Manage is no longer there and what Apple is thinking?

Does this have something to do with my enrolling in the 90 day free trial of Streaming which means I'm now using iCloud for the streaming portion instead of previously, it was just a simple, direct sync between iTunes on the phone and iMac, without iCloud being involved at all.

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 27", 32 GB Ram

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 11:26 AM

12 replies

Feb 16, 2017 6:06 AM in response to B_wellington

Apple doesn't know how to keep a good thing simple. Gee wiz.

?? This is how Apple Music/Match is supposed to work. It is simple. If you use an iCloud music service then iCloud takes over control from iTunes. You sync from iCloud, not a computer.

Move content from iTunes on your computer to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - https://support.apple.com/HT201593 "If you're a member of Apple Music or subscribe to iTunes Match, you have iCloud Music Library turned on. When you have iCloud Music Library turned on, you can't manually manage music."

Jul 4, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Westsider64

I'm on iTunes 12.2 and still have the "Manually manage music and videos" tick box under the Options section of Summary for the device. I don't have Apple Music or iTunes Match enabled so the sections that show under Music are My Music, Playlists, Radio, Connect and iTunes Store - not sure if you subscribe to Apple Music you loose the option but if that process enables iCloud would think it's very likely.

Jul 4, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Westsider64

Westsider64 wrote:

Does this have something to do with my enrolling in the 90 day free trial of Streaming which means I'm now using iCloud for the streaming portion instead of previously, it was just a simple, direct sync between iTunes on the phone and iMac, without iCloud being involved at all.

YEs, it is related to enrolling in Apple Music. The "new" way is based on allowing users to always have access to all of their own music plus all of Apple Music. The only workaround that I found is to temporarily disable Settings > Music > iCloud Music Library OFF.

If that doesn't jive with how you want to use iTunes/Music, let Apple know here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Jul 19, 2015 4:01 PM in response to Westsider64

I think I finally found the solution (iPhone 6, iTunes 12.2.1.16).

When I used Cellular Data it seemed to work, not Wifi.

1) On your iPhone, go to "Settings" and turn on "Cellular Data".

2) Go back to "Settings" and scroll down to "iTunes & App Store" & turn on "Use Cellular Data".

3) Go back to "Settings" and scroll down to "Music" and turn off "iCloud Music Library". You should see "Genius" pop up above "iCloud Music Library". Notice when you go back to "Settings" and go back to "Music" it does not turn back on.

4) Plug your iPhone into your computer. Go to iTunes and click the iPhone icon in the top left corner. Go to "Summary" and under "Options" it now says "Manually manage music and videos". Check it.

5) Go to "Music" under "Summary" and check "Sync Music" and now you able to sync selected playlist like normal.

Jul 19, 2015 11:13 PM in response to tigerstacks94

I might have this wrong but isn't it the the process of disabling "iCloud Music Library" that allows you to manually manage your music and not changes to Cellular Data. Not able to check this out because have not enabled iTunes Match or Apple Music but fail to see how Cellular would influence anything other than how you access your content.

Just highlight so if others want to get manual management back they try just turning off "iCloud Music Library" first to see if that resolves the issue - at the cost of not having access to music in the cloud I suppose.

Aug 11, 2015 4:42 PM in response to Westsider64

After doing the 12.2 upgrade on my 27'iMac, after connecting my iPhone 6, I noticed that the on the Summary page where I used to manually manage my music, that option is gone. There is a checkbox for Manually Manage Videos but not Music.

What? How can I no longer be giving the option of what I want to download to my iPhone? It's true I have 128 GB but I couldn't possibly transfer my entire iTunes Library which has 8000+ songs in it, comprised of not just iTunes purchases but my entire CD library which was ripped.

Can someone explain why Manually Manage is no longer there and what Apple is thinking?

As long as you have the "manually manage music and videos" ticked in the summary page, go back to On my device >music and before where you would have hit "add to" now it says "edit playlist" and it does the same thing

Apr 11, 2016 12:44 PM in response to Westsider64

This is all great except one BIG problem as far as I can see.When I tick "Manually manage music and videos", I lose the ability to transfer Apple Music playlists. (and I'm not even complaining about having to next RE-download your Apple Music so you're not streaming from the clou)d. Does anyone have a fix for this? It seems like an either /or deal right now. I want to manually manage my music, but I also want to sync Apple Music playlists.

What happened to Manually Manage music in 12.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.