Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud id on multiple phones

Hi just got an iphone6 and giving my son my 5. Ive set it up with my itunes account. I think this automatically gives my sons phone my iCloud ID. So now he has all my contacts. Can u set his phone to have the same itunes account but different iCloud account?

THanks

vini

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 10:27 AM

4 replies

Jul 4, 2015 10:56 AM in response to Vanq2593

You need more than one Apple ID. An Apple ID is used for everything to do with Apple (e.g., iTunes, iCloud, this website, etc). But you can use one Apple ID on your phone for iCloud and a different Apple ID for iTunes.

If it was me, I would completely clear the phone you are giving to your son using the instructions in What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I would then set it up as a new phone and sign in with a new Apple ID for your son: Get started with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

You can then have him use your Apple ID for iTunes: see Set up your Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

That was how it was done before iOS 8. Since then there is a new option which is Family Sharing. See https://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/ and Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

iCloud id on multiple phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.