Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't understand why my time capsule is out of space.

I have had notifications popping up that my 2TB time capsule is out of storage space. the computers i have backing up onto it re my iMac (1TB 26GB free) and my mac book air (128GB 100GB free) how can this be that i have filled up a 2TB hard drive? is there a simple fix for this or will i need to wipe the hard drive and then star the backups again?

Air port Time Capsule 2TB-OTHER

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 10:53 AM

2 replies

Jul 4, 2015 3:52 PM in response to billyford

Firstly check that the message is true.. open the airport utility and go to the disk tab.. what does it show as the remaining space??

User uploaded file

If the remaining space is 100GB or less TM can start to run into trouble. It takes a lot of space for temporary copying of files.

how can this be that i have filled up a 2TB hard drive?

How long have you been doing backups.. the whole idea of TM is to fill the drive.. a disk almost full with 1TB of data will fill half the TC disk.. from there you are not going to take long to fill it if you did.. an OS upgrade.. use a lot of large files and constantly turn them over.. like download movies and then delete them.. anything that uses loads of space should be looked at.

Worst are functions that run virtual disk or caches .. bootcamp, parallels, cloud dropbox.. etc. anything that creates large files used to accumulate files for another app or OS.. will rapidly use up space.

Best thing to do is probably wipe the TC and start over.. as long as you are sure there is nothing there you need.

And then track what TM is doing.

Look at Pondini.

A1 the widget tell you much. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

D3 and D4, In the same reference.. which has links to apps that will also give you some insight into what TM is doing.

can't understand why my time capsule is out of space.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.