Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match on Apple TV in a mess after Apple Music Launch

I understand that Apple Music is not supported on Apple TV (not sure if it will ever or just later on?), disappointing that my Apple Music experience doesn't just work across all platforms, but hey 😟

That said, I wasn't too bothered, as I would be happy to continue to use iTunes Match through my account on Apple TV and use either Home Sharing to access the Mac computer libraries, or Air Play pushing in the other direction - for tunes added to My Music on the iCloud Music Library across all other devices.

Excepting that installing iOS 8.4 and iTunes 12.2 seems to have been a bad move generally - as this has caused the problems that are reported all over (rooted in the corruption of metadata that messes up playlists, artwork, etc.) - I had done that already and now have specific issues with Apple TV & iTunes Match to add to that.

I installed iTunes 12.2 on my iMac which has my master library. It appears that iTunes Match has disappeared into the bowels of 'iCloud Music Library', so with this being on by default it merrily does some hidden manipulation of the tunes I have Uploaded/Matched in the Cloud. Initially, I thought it was 'not too bad' using it across just my iOS devices, so went to the Apple TV.

Firstly, the biggest disaster is the home sharing has been removed with the introduction of Apple Music, so the upgraded apple devices no longer appear in the Computers section on Apple TV - so unable to play the tunes that way.

Secondly, I turned iTunes Match on/off on the Apple TV, it re-sync'd and now numerous tunes are appearing with no/wrong art work, with the wrong artists names, etc. I can only assume that the re-sync to the cloud from the new version of iTunes has corrupted the metadata for tunes in the cloud such that when the Apple TV downloads it is not compatible.

Does anyone know whether Apple TV was supposed to still work fine with iTunes Match?

I can't think of a way of returning my tunes in the cloud to the previous working state - as that is done through iTunes on the Mac and Apples server software. Even if I could downgrade iTunes to the pre-Apple Music version there's no guarantee. I certainly don't wish to waste anymore time!

I know the Apple Music service is on free trial for 3 months, but this doesn't excuse the fact that it has messed up peoples libraries & people are struggling to understand how it actually works (even the so called experts). I certainly am disappointed that it has screwed up a service I do pay money for ('iTunes Match') on the main device ('Apple TV') that I use to listen to music on in my lounge.

Apple TV, Other OS

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 11:30 AM

Home sharing has only been removed from IOS, it still works fine for streaming from the computer to Apple TV. Yes, it seems there are many issues with the metadata in regards to iTunes Match, but it's not isolated to Apple TV.

The best thing is to provide feedback directly to Apple

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

2 replies

iTunes Match on Apple TV in a mess after Apple Music Launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.