Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need a driver to write to a DVD and Blu-ray disk.

I have a new I-Mac (27 inch retina 5K) with an Intel i5 processor, iSO 10.10.3 The computer did not have a built in CD reader/write therefore I purchased an external ASUS Blu-Ray writer (BW-121S-U). I can read CD's and Blu-Ray disks, but I can not write to either. It came with Windows software but nothing for for my Mac. Can you help me?

Fred

Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 1:21 PM

6 replies

Jul 4, 2015 2:31 PM in response to PhotoDerF

These are user to user forums - a little patience helps.

External burners do not need a driver. Macs cannot burn blu-ray content without third party software. You need software that will burn whatever content you are trying to burn. So, more salient information is needed - what you are trying to burn. For blu-ray you will need something like Roxio Toast.

Jul 5, 2015 1:20 PM in response to babowa

Thank you very much, I will try "Roxio Toast."

MY new computer came without a CD or Blue Ray reader/burner. I need a CD reader, because I have some applications, such as Adobe Photoshop CS6, that I need to reinstall, and the software came on a CD. Therefore I needed something to read CD's and for a few dollars more I was able to purchase an ASUS Blue-Ray reader/writer. As a retired photographer I have some rather large digital photo files, and it would be more convenient for me to save some of this on a Blu-Ray disk.

Yes I have three external drives thatI use for backup, one that is always connected to my computer as a "Time Machine" the other two I swap one a month and keep in a bank safety deposit box. I also like to save some things on a CD. I believe that in some areas REDUNDANCY is not a bad thing.

Thank you,

Fred N

Jul 5, 2015 3:50 PM in response to PhotoDerF

As far as I know, Toast would be the only app that will burn bluray - as you may know, Macs do not support bluray (because Sony owns the license and has not authorized Apple to use it), so you need third party hardware and software to burn anything in bluray. Toast is quite good; I've used it for years, and it's easy to use to burn files, audio, or video. If you need to use the burner to install software, you should not need anything: the burner will not show up on your desktop, but the CD should (once inserted). Make sure your Finder preferences are set to show external disks, CDs, etc. on the desktop.

I need a driver to write to a DVD and Blu-ray disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.