Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! My iPhone 5C bricked after updating to IOS 8.4. I am stuck on the screen where it tells me to connect to iTunes but I can't get out of the loop.

I have tried the tricks of holding down the power and home button to reboot. I have uninstalled ad reinstalled iTunes. I have tried it on a different computer. I have restarted both computers I have used. I can't contact apple support because they want my serial number which is currently on my $300 paperweight. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my usb drivers. My original one that came with the phone is broken somehow and can't be fixed with a driver update. I don't know what to do at this point. I feel I have exhausted all my possibilities aside from driving 200km t my nearest apple store like I had to do last time. I'm kind of hoping somebody has a new trick up their sleeve since last September. Come through for me Apple community. We are better than the products they put out. Thanks!

iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 11:37 AM

11 replies

Jul 4, 2015 11:43 AM in response to thelesliean496

thelesliean496 wrote:

My original one that came with the phone is broken somehow and can't be fixed with a driver update.

What does that mean?

If you backup your device with iTunes, you can go to iTunes and find your serial number there.

The screen you describe is the Recovery Mode. If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support When you attempt to update/restore, what is happening? The device loops back to Recovery Mode? If so, the you may need to put the device into DFU mode. You will have to Google for instructions on that.

Jul 4, 2015 11:46 AM in response to thelesliean496

The serial number is printed on the SIM tray. You may need a magnifying glass to read it.

That said, we might be able to help you troubleshoot the problem if you could actually tell us what's wrong... You've told us lots of things you can't do, but you haven't given us any information at all on what happens when you attempt to restore the phone using iTunes.

Jul 4, 2015 11:58 AM in response to KiltedTim

I was updating my ios to 8.4. When it had finished downloading my phone went into recovery mode. I looked up what that meant and followed the instructions on apple support to get out of it but it gets stuck in the loop. My computer won't recognize that my phone exists so I tried my husband's laptop. It tried to work on his iTunes but when the download was complete and the restoration began a message saying an unknown error occurred with 1671 in parentheses. I looked up what that meant in more information where I was told on support pages to make sure the latest iTunes was downloaded, to restart the computer and reinstall my charger. I did all those things and no dice. Both iTunes and windows won't recognize my device. I'm flustered.

Jul 4, 2015 12:02 PM in response to thelesliean496

According to the Apple Support document for update and restore error codes, 1671 isn't listed, but the closest you can find is here.

Check for hardware issues

Errors: 1, 3, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 53, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, or 1669.

Your device or computer might have a hardware issue that stops the update or restore from completing.

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't blocking your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Make sure that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

If you still see the error message, check for outdated or modified software.

So it could very well be a hardware issue and would require an appointment at the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store for evaluation.

Help! My iPhone 5C bricked after updating to IOS 8.4. I am stuck on the screen where it tells me to connect to iTunes but I can't get out of the loop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.