Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I transferred my itune library to a jumpdrive to move to a newer computer. Now all traces of my iTunes are missing on my older computer. Where did it go?

My old flat screen iMac is still good to make music CD's but I wanted my iTune library on my newer intel duo core iMac as well so I downloaded my iTunes to a jump drive to transfer to my newer computer. Well now the old computer iTunes music is gone. When I open iTunes the whole thing is blank. I moved other files to my newer computer the same way and all that stuff is still on my older computer. What happened and how do I get it back. I'm sure the iTunes library is still there on my old computer but I can't locate it. Also how do you unload the whole iTune library from the jump drive? It appears I have to add the songs to my newer computer iTunes one at a time. For 6,000 songs that could take awhile. What am I doing wrong?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Snow Leopard

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 11:53 AM

3 replies

Jul 22, 2015 7:00 AM in response to Orangekiss

Maybe you didn't do this correctly.

Our iTunes guru Terence Devlin advises the following:

1. Quit iTunes

2. Drag the iTunes folder from your internal hd - located in ~/Music folder - to your external hd (which has to be formatted as HFS Extended (Journaled)). DO NOT delete the original one from your internal hd... yet!

3. When the transfer is complete, press and hold the Option(alt) key and fire up iTunes.

4. A "Choose iTunes Library" window will come up. Click on the "Choose Library" button.

5. Navigate to where the iTunes folder is located in the external hd.

6. Within the iTunes folder, select the iTunes Library file and click Choose...

That's it. iTunes will now display all your playlists, songs, movies, podcasts etc. At this point, should you wish, you can delete the iTunes folder from the internal hd to free up space.

More info:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751

Or if you prefer a more complicated explanation:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to -a-new-hard-drive

Oct 25, 2015 9:29 PM in response to Klaus1

I don't have an external hard drive. Just 2 computers - one an old dome base iMac where my music is on and a newer intel based one using snow leopard. How at least can I get my music library back on my old one which disappeared when I down loaded it onto a jump drive? My iTunes is now empty when it had like 5,000 songs on it before I tried to transfer it to my new computer. I am not totally computer savvy so make your explanation in layman's terms.

I transferred my itune library to a jumpdrive to move to a newer computer. Now all traces of my iTunes are missing on my older computer. Where did it go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.