Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java Runtime Environment help

I keep getting a pop up that says "To view this web content, you need to install the Java Runtime Environment. Click for more info." I have gotten these pop ups 10 or 12 times a day. I checked to see if I have the updated version. Downloaded the recent one. I saw for it to take affect, I would have to refresh the page or hit command + Q to quit. I did both. I'm still getting them but now only 4 or 5 times a day. How do I get rid of it for sure? It's driving me crazy. I have tried the downloading the new updated Java. So don't need to do that again. I need another idea to fix it. Or should I assume it's a common error that will never be fixed?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 11:46 AM

3 replies

Jul 4, 2015 2:28 PM in response to Youbetcha12

Most likely, you have a web plugin that depends on the Java runtime distributed by Apple, such as the Facebook video calling plugin or the "NexDef" plugin for watching baseball streams. If you no longer need the plugin, remove it, including its automatic update mechanism (if any) according to the developer's instructions. Otherwise, install the Apple Java.

To avoid confusion, note that Apple's Java runtime is not the same as Oracle's, and the two don't overlap in function.

Java Runtime Environment help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.