Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes match, Apple what have you done its a mess!

I have subscribed to Itunes Match for a while now and whilst it is a little clunky it serves my purposes perfectly. I have absolutley no desire to sign up to Apple Music for the same reasons I never subscribed to Spotify, I dont like streaming music. I actually prefer vinyl but I also like the convenience of an online music library and regularly use my Iphone in the car and whilst travelling.

Her are a list of the problems I have encountered since updating to ios 8.4 and iTunes 12.2

1. iTunes Match suddently disappeared without warning from iTunes and I had to check online to find out it was still there but renamed iCloud Music Library.

2. Prior to the change I new exactly what music was in the cloud and had close to the 25000 track limit, I have since added about 7 or 8 albums after a recent spending spree so my iTunes database contains more than 25000 tracks. Before I would have just updated itunes match and it would have taken a few minutes and in order to load the new music I would have been able to delete some of my older music from the cloud.

3. I can no longer do this under itunes 12.2. I ticked the box under preferences - general - icloud music library. It rescanned my whole library (which took several hours) and then came back with an error message telling me my library was too large and the new tracks could not be uploaded. It then proceed to automatically turn off the icloud music library. I rechecked under preferences - general - icloud music library and the box had automatically been unticked. I have nw tried this atleast six times with the same outcome.

4. As a consequence I cannot see what the status of my music in tne cloud. I have also tried to add an 'icloud status' column but its is not available in the list of options when I select my music library. (bizarrely I can attach an 'icloud status column for the music on my device when I attach my iphone).

5. I am literally going round in circles. The option to 'update my music library under file - library is either completely missing unless I tick the icloud music library under preferences - general and even then it is greyed out.

6. The upshot of all this I cannot upload or delete and tracks on itunes match and I have no diea o the status of my icloud music library

7. I do not use the cloud on my iphone and only listen to music I have physically added to it. Since updating ios 8.4 random artists and tracks have been added to my library. it would appear they are only in the cloud and the majority (but not all) appear to be tracks I have purchased. I have tried deleting them but they magically reappear. I have tried turning off the 'show itunes purchases' but this doesnt work either. I have also turned off Apple music and icloud music library in settings. Nothing works So I have no idea why these tracks have been added to my iphone. There are over a hundred artists which i have no desire to flick through and its is a complete pain.

I have always loved Apple's products for their simplicity but this is now a complicated mess

Apple please sort it out

A very ****** off Apple customer!

iOS 6

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 3:48 PM

4 replies

Jul 4, 2015 4:23 PM in response to nessandandy

All your issues seem to have a common cause: you signed up for iCloud Music Library without knowing the consequences (that's not your fault, Apple did not exactly make it explicitly clear).

Be also aware of the option given when you sign up for iCML: Merge and Replace have drastically different impact on your local library.

For some background on iTunes Match vs. iCloud Music Library see this article: http://www.imore.com/apple-music-vs-itunes-match-whats-difference

Jul 5, 2015 12:50 PM in response to nessandandy

I think the answer is in two parts.

Part 1 is that the whole iTunes in the Cloud thing seems buggy right now. People are reporting all kinds of bizarre problems and there have been articles in many tech blogs and media about this. There doesn't seem to be any recourse other than to wait for Apple to straighten this out. (Meanwhile don't opt in to iTunes in the Cloud if you are given the choice. You may even consider restoring your library to an earlier version: Quit iTunes, look in Music > iTunes > Previous iTunes Libraries, and use one of these documents to replace the file called "iTunes Library.itl" in the main iTunes folder. Restart iTunes, decline the offer to use iTunes in the Cloud, and sanity should be restored to your music library.)

Part 2 concerns your iOS device(s), and this problem should be solvable. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Music, then turn off iCloud Music Library.

Jul 6, 2015 6:53 AM in response to richard grant

Thanks for the help Ive managed to restore my library to as it was, the only difference being no iTunes match and unable to access my music in the cloud. Im not happy about paying for a service I can no longer use until Apple pulls its finger out and sorts out all these problems. As for the issues with my iphone I had never turned on my icloud music library (as it deletes everything thats physically on the phone with whats available in the cloud) so I have no idea how songs from the cloud got mixed in with the music on my iphone.

iTunes match, Apple what have you done its a mess!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.