Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi connection issues

Hi.

I'm having problems with my WiFi connection at startup with my Late 2013 Macbook Pro. Sometimes it takes almost 5 minutes to connect to my home router. These problems started with the previous update of OS X Yosemite 10.10.3. With the new update (10.10.4) these problems have continued with no improvements.

This is not only happening to me but also to my wife with her Mid 2013 Macbook Air. Both of us have the recent update 10.10.4. This issue is not affecting to any iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, Android Phone or Windows PC.

When you have time there is no problem. But when you are in a hurry it is needed. We usually try to disconnect the wifi card from our computers or reselecting the internet connection but nothing happens. This occurs not only at home but also at work where we have in both places reliable internet connections and also we have Apple's Airport Extreme in both places for WiFi signal.

Thanks a lot.

Camilo.

Macbook Air Mid-2013 - OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

Macbook Pro Late-2013 - OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 1:33 PM

13 replies

Jul 4, 2015 4:43 PM in response to Linc Davis

When I entered to the recovery mode it was not connected to the internet connection. I launch safari and it loaded the page right away. I selected my internet connection and it connected to my wifi signal immediately.

All this process lasted just a few seconds.

When I rebooted my Mac after that it took longer (like 2 minutes) to connect again.

Jul 4, 2015 5:12 PM in response to Camilo27

Good, that rules out a hardware issue.

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jul 4, 2015 8:46 PM in response to Camilo27

Test after taking each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Back up all data before making any changes.

1. Make sure the network is on the preferred list by following these instructions. It's important to read the article carefully, as it's the starting point for any further efforts to solve the problem. If you skip any of the steps, the problem may not be solved. Make sure the box marked

Remember networks this computer has joined

is checked.

2. Follow the instructions in this support article under the heading

Symptom: After restarting or waking from sleep, my computer might not connect to the Internet

3. Reset the PRAM.

4. Make a note of all your settings for Wi-Fi in the Network preference pane, then delete the connection from the connection list and recreate it with the same settings. You do this by clicking the plus-sign icon below the connection list, and selecting Wi-Fi as the interface in the sheet that opens. Select Join other network from the Network Name menu, then select your network. Enter the password when prompted and save it in the keychain.

5. From the Location menu at the top of the Network preference pane, select Edit Locations. A sheet will drop down. Click the plus-sign button to create a new location. Give it any name you want. In the new location, set up the Wi-Fi service with the same settings you used before. Click Apply and test.

6. Launch the Keychain Access application. Search for and delete all AirPort network password items that refer to the network. Make a note of the password first.

7. Repair permissions on the startup volume.

8. Turn off Bluetoothand test.

9. Reset the System Management Controller.

10. This step shouldn't be necessary, but has been advised by Apple Support in some cases, apparently as a workaround for a bug. Open the Energy Saver pane in System Preferences. If applicable, click the padlock icon in the lower left corner to unlock the settings. Enter your administrator login password when prompted.

Select the Power Adapter tab and uncheck the boxes marked

Wake for Wi-Fi network access

and

Enable Power Nap...

if present. Then, if the computer is a MacBook, select the Battery tab and uncheck

Enable Power Nap...

11. Reinstall OS X.

Jul 10, 2015 11:33 AM in response to Linc Davis

After testing every step my connection problem is still there.

This started with the previous update and I read that it was a problem with OS X Yosemite and this will be solve with the next update. But with the last update my problem is still there.

I'm thinking on partition my laptop and install OS X El Capitan beta software to test my connection issues.

Jul 11, 2015 5:29 PM in response to Camilo27

What does Wireless Diagnostics show?

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite (2)

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite (3)

WiFi Potential Temporary fix - Yosemite

Also try turning off Bluetooth.

WIFI AND BLUETOOTH FINALLY SOLVED, NO REALLY - YOSEMITE 10.10

If your Wi-Fi source is capable of generating a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network, try that to help avoid conflicts with Bluetooth.

WiFi connection issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.