Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How well does iTunes work on a computer with a pentium processor?

My sister recently got a new computer that has a Pentium processor, and I was wondering if iTunes would work well on it. I was thinking of looking into an external hard drive for the music, but in general, would it slow her computer down a lot?

iPod touch

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 3:32 PM

5 replies

Jul 4, 2015 3:36 PM in response to i.luv.atlantis

What version of Windows is it running? iTunes is no longer supporting 32-bit systems, at least for the latest version of iTunes. The only way that an external hard drive will affect a computer, would be about the USB port support and what speed data will transfer. The older computers generally have USB v2.0 support, while newer ones have v3.0. The 3.0 USB is faster data transfer.

Jul 4, 2015 3:49 PM in response to i.luv.atlantis

The generic "Pentium" name covers a huge range of processor types, starting in 1993. You'll need to be much more specific about the hardware configuration - there are other factors as well as processor type that will affect whether iTunes will run and give acceptable performance. The stated minimum requirements are "PC with a 1GHz Intel or AMD processor with support for SSE2 and 512MB of RAM", with higher processor specs being required for video. Although in theory iTunes will run with 512MB of RAM I've never seen it do so with minimally acceptable performance in less that 1GB, and with even a medium-sized library at least 2GB is preferred.

The comment above that "iTunes is no longer supporting 32-bit systems" is incorrect - iTunes 12.2 requires Windows 7 or later, either 32- or 64-bit editions.

How well does iTunes work on a computer with a pentium processor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.