Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm getting a prompt to update safari when I visit a website NOT from apps page

I'm getting a prompt when I visit some websites to update to a new version of safari and this doesn't seem to be coming from apple. I, of course, don't do the update. I'm thinking that someone is doing some naughty on these respective wed sites but wanted some feed back first. thanks.

Mac mini (Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 2:36 PM

6 replies

Jul 4, 2015 4:09 PM in response to lllaass

This is a legit site so someone may have been hacking them for this error to come up. wanted to get some feed back from the community on this one. I have seen something similar in the past where I was asked to do something and the messages would pop up demanding some action to be done. it was clearly a scam and i would unplug the modem to get rid of the message. here it looked, frankly, more official but, all updates comes from the app application so I had a feeling that it was another scam. easier to get rid of then the last message. here I just left the page got a message asking me if I wanted to leave the page, which was an official looking message and I had seen something like it before on advertising web sites. so, agreed, probably a scam. the site was kingworldnews.com financial web site. thanks.

Jul 5, 2015 3:37 AM in response to bigwillieiag

Yes, it could be a scam the the webmaster for the site may be unaware of.

If the site is not asking you to download the update from any dialogues or

prompts, then it could also just be an issue with the webpage. Many web designers

will put in code that checks the browser and version to determine compatibility

of the browser to their content design. Perhaps, they have a mistake in this checking

process.

In any case, if this is a reputable site, you should contact the webmaster or their

support and make them aware of the situation. Obviously, if there is any download requested,

don't do it.

Also, if any of those annoying dialogs that can't be dismissed pop up, try holding down

Command and w keys which will force close a window.

Jul 5, 2015 8:53 AM in response to woodmeister50

I have also had notices to update Safari and I am running Safari Version 8.0.7 (10600.7.12) and Yosemite 10.10.4 on a late 2014 2,6 GHz Mac Mini.

However, in such situations Command-W doesn't do anything and sometimes even Command-Option-Escape (to force-quit Safari) doesn't either. Or when it does, I find the same situation when Safari is started again.

Restarting my computer clears it all up.

I'm getting a prompt to update safari when I visit a website NOT from apps page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.