Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 deleted all of my movie files not purchased via iTunes.

Just updated to iTunes 12.2 and it deleted all of my movie files not purchased via iTunes. Does anyone know if this is a known issue or has it happened to anyone else? If so I will be looking for a new media solution. I have backups of the files so I didn't lose anything. But rebuilding my library after every update is not going to happen. Plus I am NOT ok with Apple going in and deleting my personal files without warning. These were all movie files from copying our DVD collection from pre-digital download times, not illegal downloads.

On a related note. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use for our iTunes purchased content if we decide to switch to something different?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), none

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 5:16 PM

My movies survived the update, though I have them under home movies instead of movies. I think movies is just supposed to be just iTunes Store purchased movies.

11 replies

Jul 4, 2015 9:09 PM in response to etjraz

I doubt Apple is deliberately designing software to erase content but the prudent computer user always makes a complete backup before installing ny new software. This makes it easy to restore a library should something go wrong.

Just so you know, it is actually illegal in many countries (including the USA) to rip pretty much any modern DVD with DRM protection. Yes, even if you have purchased the DVD. Thank powerful media lobbyists and your lawmakers for getting that one made a federal law.

Jul 5, 2015 6:24 AM in response to Limnos

Yeah usually their updates don't cause much trouble, just wasn't sure if it was a fluke on our end or something that was happening to others.

And you are right about the DVD copying; though most of ours are older and don't even have a DRM protection since we stopped buying DVDs and went to iTunes downloads quite a few years ago to save on space. The handful we have run into with DRM protection (the newer ones) we usually just buy a new digital copy of since it's not that many and it's a bother to get rid of it (and as you said, illegal). It's sad they had to go to that (no copying for personal use) just to try and slow down the pirating that was/is going on; it saves so much space and it is far easier to travel with a digital library vs. actual disks (even if I do prefer hardcopies...lol).

Jul 5, 2015 2:58 PM in response to etjraz

I've just had the exact same thing. All the DVD's I'd added to iTunes before getting rid have now mysteriously disappeared since upgrading to the new iTunes. I can see them in Finder but iTunes can't detect them at all. I did think that maybe it had popped them all into Home Videos, but since upgrading to 12.2, even my home videos have disappeared too.

Jul 6, 2015 3:19 PM in response to etjraz

Same thing happened to me. All my music video playlists (I had several) disappeared and just left the few that I bought from iTunes. I had tons of videos that I collected through the years. I found them in my music folder on My Documents but they are showing as Home Videos now not Music videos. While this is not purchased through iTunes it is my content and it is not cool to remove it without my consent. I read here to use an older version of my library. I tried that and it actually deleted all my playlists including just music. Some of those lists took me years to build since I had a gym list, new age list, Spanish only list etc. It took me hours yesterday just to recreate one and end up with a massive headache. I am disappointed they don't test their stuff enough to avoid disrupting us. Of course I am not trying their Music streaming offer as a result of this invasion.

Jul 6, 2015 6:29 PM in response to Sebastian from salt lake city

My movies survived the update, though I have them under home video instead of movies. I think movies is just supposed to be just iTunes Store purchased movies and is more or less their sandbox. Home Videos are by and large safe unless there is a deeper iTunes meltdown.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. Community said it didn't post the first time and recovered it, but alas, that too it a bit flawed it appears.

Jul 13, 2015 10:07 PM in response to etjraz

If you start itunes holding down the Alt button, it will allow you to find your old library. it is still more than likely all in there, and not deleted. I had exactly the same issue as you, with all my Apple purchased iTunes movies and music surviving the new update, but everything else I put on there including tones, movies, music and podcasts, playlists etc all disappearing. When I reloaded the Library (hold down Alt and click iTunes in your Dock) it all came back. I deleted the new one that 12.2 made for me. There is a folder in your itunes music folder called Previous iTunes Libraries. Use the latest one by Date. It might fix your problem for you. Hope that helps

iTunes 12.2 deleted all of my movie files not purchased via iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.