Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to Archive iPhone Backups in iTunes

I am running iTunes 12.2.0.145, on a Windows 7 computer. I want to save a backup of my iPhone before upgrading the iOS so I might have a hope of recovering in the event of a problem. However I find that there is no provision in iTunes I can locate. Some web postings suggest right clicking on the backup name (edit -> preferences -> <device tab> to get list of backups). But on my computer a right click does nothing. Oddly enough the last backup I made before upgrading iTunes has a date/time appended to the device name, which is supposed to be the way backups get archived - making me wonder if the removal of this capability is a "feature" of the latest iTunes - to force uses to use the iCloud.

Any windows 7 users notice anything similar and have a way around this?

It is important for the iOS 8,3 to iOS8.4 upgrade because iOS 8.4 backups will not load to an iOS 8.3 device, making it essential to save your last iOS 8.,3 backup if reverting is to have a hope of succeeding.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3, Windows 7, Most recent iTunes

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 5:00 PM

Unfortunately, the Archive option only works on iTunes for Mac. Your options are to copy the backup folder to another location, or just rename it in place and a new one will be created the next time you back up. You can also back up to iCloud, which saves the last 3 backups.

When you update, however, iTunes automatically archives the most recent backup of the previous version.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2015 5:00 PM in response to goes_m

Unfortunately, the Archive option only works on iTunes for Mac. Your options are to copy the backup folder to another location, or just rename it in place and a new one will be created the next time you back up. You can also back up to iCloud, which saves the last 3 backups.

When you update, however, iTunes automatically archives the most recent backup of the previous version.

Jul 4, 2015 8:58 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

It is unfortunate that the archive option does not exist in windows. My question now is: assuming that I rename the file (in place or otherwise) what do I need to do to use the file to restore the backup? Do I need to rename it back to the original name? I have looked at the backup files and the names are a pseudo-random string of numbers. I say "files" since I have multiple iOS devices using this computer/iTunes and it appears that each has its own backup file, (plus one for the auto-generated archive you mentioned).

When I tried to roll back the iOS 8.4 update on my iPhone, when iOS8.3 started up I was not given the option of restoring to the auto-generated backup. Only one choice was presented. And when that choice failed, it was removed.

Incidentally I am not sure that iCloud and iOS 8.4 are happy campers when it comes to the users music libraries.

Jul 10, 2015 10:08 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi,

So, I was having the same problem as goes_m; so, I changed the name of the backup folder's name to "backup.sav" like you said to do. Now, I am wondering where to go from here to get my iPhone backed up.

Instead of downgrading from iOS 8.4 to iOS 8.3, I am trying to downgrade from iOS 9.0 Beta to iOS 8.4. I did what this told me: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

But, instead of this helping me, it only got me more confused. I got it into recovery mode, and it required me to update the iPhone before restoring it. About half way through updating, the phone went out of recovery mode and turned on. I am assuming this is why recovery mode did not work for me.

Now I am wondering how this can all tie together. I've tried putting the device in recovery mode, but that did not work for me. My specifications are below if it would be helpful:

Windows 8.1 64-bit

iPhone 6+

iTunes 12.2 64-bit

Jul 10, 2015 11:04 AM in response to etl1117

Although I have not tried this, I think that what Mr. Finch is suggesting is that when you want to archive a backup, you change the name of the backup directory, or maybe copy the directory and then rename the copy something like backup_sav_<date>. Then when you want to use the archived backup you'd shut down iTunes and go into the file structure using Windows and re-name the current backup directory something like backup_current, and then copy the archive directory to a new "backup" directory so that when iTunes starts up it only "sees" the archive's data. I would NOT think that just renaming the archive would be a wise move since my experience is that windows over writes the backups very often - like with every sync. Of course when you were done you'd restore the backup_current to the working directory"backup".

This is something of a kludge since it supposes that you can predict which backups you need to archive. What I have seen is that (under Windows, anyway) backups are so frequently overwritten the automatic backups are useless. Every time I have wanted one, the "old" data has already been over written by corrupted data.

I am not sure how to apply this in your case, given that backups cannot be used with the higher version of the iOS. It would seem that the moment you had a working version of iOS 8.4 on your phone, you'd need to shut off iTunes, and then do the directory re-naming to get an iOS 8.4 backup ready for iTunes to restore. After that you could start iTunes and restore the backup. But I'm not sure about if/when you'd able to shut down iTunes. My recollection from downgrading from 8.4 to 8.3 was that iTunes was sort of insistent about trying to set up the phone once the new iOS was loaded.

One thing I have noticed is that I have multiple devices using the same copy of iTiunes but they all backup to the "backup" directory. So there is the potential of accidentally hosing a backup for an unrelated device from "fat fingers". I'd take detailed notes while doing this.

Jul 10, 2015 8:32 PM in response to Harmeet24

I believe that the answer may depend on the operating system of the computer and how iTunes is configured. In my case (Windows 7, and a recent version of iTunes) iTunes runs a synch (which includes a backup as far as I can tell) whenever the iPhone is connected. So if the phone has a problem and you connect it to iTunes with the intent of restoring a backup, the first thing that happens is that iTunes makes a backup of the current status of the phone, which overwrites the older backup you were planning on using to restore the phone - unless you archive it prior to connecting the phone.

If you change the iOS on the phone, once the new iOS is in place, the first thing that iTunes does is to sync/backup which overwrites the last old iOS backup, making restoring the phone to the old iOS a problem unless you have archived the last backup.

Note that I have read that the behavior under Windows and Apple OS's is different. And I am looking into reconfiguring iTunes to see if a more user-friendly setup exists.

Jul 11, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Harmeet24

Harmeet24 wrote:

Why do we have to archive it, why can't we just restore from our backup,that has not been archived, in case something goes wrong? Just asking.

iTunes only keeps one backup, the most recent. If you don't archive backups you cannot restore an older backup than the one that was most recently made. There are a couple of exceptions: If you update iOS to a new version, iTunes will automatically archive the last backup made with the previous version. And if you backup to iCloud, it maintains the 3 most recent backups.

Jul 11, 2015 8:09 AM in response to goes_m

goes_m wrote:

I believe that the answer may depend on the operating system of the computer and how iTunes is configured. In my case (Windows 7, and a recent version of iTunes) iTunes runs a synch (which includes a backup as far as I can tell) whenever the iPhone is connected. So if the phone has a problem and you connect it to iTunes with the intent of restoring a backup, the first thing that happens is that iTunes makes a backup of the current status of the phone, which overwrites the older backup you were planning on using to restore the phone - unless you archive it prior to connecting the phone.

If you change the iOS on the phone, once the new iOS is in place, the first thing that iTunes does is to sync/backup which overwrites the last old iOS backup, making restoring the phone to the old iOS a problem unless you have archived the last backup.

Note that I have read that the behavior under Windows and Apple OS's is different. And I am looking into reconfiguring iTunes to see if a more user-friendly setup exists.

You can easily stop iTunes from automatically syncing and backing up when you connect the phone. In iTunes, go to iTunes Preferences, Devices tab, and check the box to not sync automatically:

User uploaded file

Also, note that you cannot restore the last version of iOS itself under any circumstances; however, you CAN restore the last backup of data made with the previous version, as it is automatically archived when you update. Even on Windows.

Jul 12, 2015 8:49 AM in response to goes_m

For reference, it appears the default location of the backups in Windows is %APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup. The backup will be named with a 40-char hexadecimal string (I'm not sure if it's random or reflects device-identifying information).

Making a copy of the folder in the same location caused iTunes to see two copies, so that might work, but I went the more paranoid route and zipped up a copy of the backup. (It doesn't compress, but iTunes won't treat it as a backup or part of one). To restore from it at a later date I'll need to unzip it again, but that's better than iTunes deleting both folders in a cleanup operation.

On a side note, I wonder if the reason iTunes can't archive in Windows is related to the arbitrary 40-character filename limit it applies to song filenames -- if it won't go over 40 characters for a name, that would explain why it can't archive (assuming the archived name is something like <old-name>.archive).

# Chris

(EDIT: formatting)

Jul 13, 2015 3:34 PM in response to Harmeet24

You can download the beta safely IF you have registered with Apple, and follow ALL of Apple's instructions. If you are getting it from a source other than Apple, that would be a very foolish thing to do.

It would also be a bad idea if you plan to install the beta on your primary iPhone. Betas are for TESTING. Meaning that Apple expects things to not work; the purpose of a beta is to find what doesn't work. And this is an early beta, so it is bound to be full of bugs, some of which may make your phone unusable (as they have for some current beta users). As long as you are willing to take the risks, go ahead.

Jul 27, 2015 5:18 AM in response to goes_m

I have had the same problem. I was going to install iOS 9 Public Beta 1 on my iPad mini 2, but I couldn't archive so I didn't know what I should have done. So my question is to anyone out there who can answer this; If I have a backup from my iPad on iTunes, am I ok to install the beta and revert back? Would an iCloud backup work? Do I have to go and copy my backup folder?

Want to Archive iPhone Backups in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.