Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro keyboard failing after 10.10.4 update

Hello,

I've had some problems today after updating my MacBook Pro (Retina mid14) to OSX Yosemite 10.10.4. First of all, a few days ago I tried to download and install this update, but for some unkown reason I wasn't able to complete the action (some strange error came out). I had no results after some attempts, so I left it.

Today morning it has automatically updated itself, after rebooting everything seemed to be okay. But after an hour using "the new version", the keyboard freezed completely for all apps. Every key that used to type a character didn't work. I could use, though, all the function keys. Then I tried to open spotlight, and I was able to write in Spotlight search without any problem.

I have then rebooted my laptop (the trackpad and system were working normally), and after that the keyboard worked again. But 5 min. ago, after resuming the macbook (opening the lid), it happened again.

Does somebody have any clue of what could it be?

More details: I think that I had a display through VGA and a USB3 external drive connected at those moments (I'm not sure, but I have them almost always connected).

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 2:11 PM

1 reply

Jul 4, 2015 2:14 PM in response to efz1005

Perhaps this article will help: One or more keys on the keyboard do not respond. If it does not then you might try this:

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions - Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion or Lion

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Now, download and install the OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 Combo Update.

MacBook Pro keyboard failing after 10.10.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.