Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chrome & Snow Leopard

I just upgraded to Mac OS X Snow Leopard v 10.6.3 but Google is still recommending installing Chrome, should I - has anyone experience and advice please? I'm using:

• MacBook2,1
  • Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
  • Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
  • SMC Version (system): 1.17f0

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 3:14 PM

Google makes that recommendation because Chrome is their browser. You will do fine with Safari. Chrome can cause problems for OS X. If you must use an alternative browser, then use FireFox.

12 replies

Jul 4, 2015 4:02 PM in response to Kappy

Firefox seems to be working, thank you, I suppose that was the obvious thing to do!

Allan, do you think there's an efficient way of addressing the issue of the '5 or 6 year old code' you identified - are there likely to be issues if use of this macbook is continued in its current form - or given my lack of technical knowledge, does it make sense to invest in a new device rather than to add patches and upgrades when I don't have the technical nous?!

Jul 4, 2015 4:53 PM in response to BeTheDifference

There is nothing wrong with still using OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Many, myself included, still are using this version of OS X.

Just make sure have updated Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 as Kappy suggested and use his supplied link.

Snow Leopard's Safari web browser version is out of date and currently a vulnerability in the OS.

So, switching to the Firefox web browser is the best thing you could do to protect OS 10.6 Snow Leopard and your data from any malicious threats from the web.

While it it is not the latest and greatest OS X version and Apple has stopped supporting security updates for it, Snow Leopard is still a usable OS X and Apple still sells this on disc, currently,

OS X Snow Leopard still functions well for me and I still need it to run, older, legacy software I can no longer afford to update/upgrade.

You have options if you wish to upgrade your OS X version in the future. The free Yosemite or you can pay for a code a download and install either 10.7 Lion or 10.8 Mountain Lion depending if your machine has the minimum hardware requirements for either 10.8 or 10.10.

Chrome & Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.