Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot copy music to manually managed iPod touch

I am unable to copy music to my iPod touch in iTunes.

Setup: OS X 10.10.4, iTunes 12.2, latest gen iPod touch with iOS 8.4 and 2 GB free set to manually manage music.

In iTunes, drag copying a moderate amount of files from a playlist of files on my computer to a playlist on device results in a long "preparing to update" process. Eventually after about 10 minutes the tracks appear on iPod greyed out. These tracks are unplayable.

Deleting the greyed out tracks, waiting 10 minutes for the process to complete, then attempting to drag copy the files over again, also fails.

The files in question are pretty standard mp3 and aac tracks. The amount of files I am copying over are well under the free space on device. I have successfully copied over these same files to this same iPod in the past.

How can I copy over music to this iPod?

iPod touch, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 4:51 PM

2 replies

Jul 5, 2015 2:17 AM in response to Stephen Downs

If this does not work

iTunes won't sync new music onto iPhone 6 after iOS 8.4

The, as necessary

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Unsync/delete all music and resync

To delete all music go to Settings>General>Usage>Storage>Manage Storage>Music>Tap edit in upper right and then tap the minus sign by All Music

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Jul 20, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Stephen Downs

I followed lllaass' instructions, came upon a block.

- Reset the iOS device.

This did not correct the problem.

- Delete all music and resync

This did not correct the problem.

The on-device delete process took about four attempts to truly delete music. Each time it appeared as if frozen for a minute.

When the device reported no music, I reattached it to computer via USB and opened iTunes. iTunes reported all the music as still being on device, but unplayable.

Solution: I manually deleted all music from device and painstakingly copied what I needed back. It appears to be playing tracks okay and adding new tracks does not seem problematic.

Unfortunately all the play metadata gets wiped with this delete process.

Cannot copy music to manually managed iPod touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.