Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I downgrade from Yosemite to Snow Leopard?

Hi all,

my IMac hard drive went faulty last year (due to some problems with Windows in Bootcamp) and I took it to KNOWHOW in PCWorld (as the Geniuses were being really vague about how much it would cost to get the hard drive replaced and I required a rough estimate so I could save up accordingly).

KNOWHOW successfully replaced the hard drive but when I booted up my Imac I found, to my horror, that they had also installed the latest OS, "Yosemite". I never requested this and didn't even know that Apple had a new OS out before this so I was quite shocked.

I'm aware many would have been greatful for an upgrade but as someone who had to recently get a Samsung s6 because the ISO updates ruined my old iphone I know that Apple has a horrible history when it comes to getting new OS versions to run on older machines. In fact, I needed to quickly scan and send a document to my dad so I tried to install my Cannon Lide drivers. I got a prompt saying that it's not supported by the current OS which was the first legitmate red flag.

So after screaming at KNOWHOW down the phone I decided I was going to downgrade to Snow Leopard immediately, and not even install my backup from my external hard drive until I did so. The problem is, I have been seeing online rumours that Snow Leopard is no longer supported by Apple? The last security update on my Macbook (which runs SL) was from 2013 so I'm concerned that if I go back to SL I'd eventually have to upgrade anyway. Is downgrading to Snow Leopard the right thing to do? My Macbook runs fine despite some severe memory issues but I assume that's because the storage is almost full seeing as SL on my IMac (before the hard drive failed in Nov 2014) was also fine and fast running.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 4:15 PM

10 replies

Jul 6, 2015 6:10 AM in response to UltimateRainbow

Lacking access to security updates is always a risk - the questions only you can answer are (1) what are you risking and (2) is the risk manageable. If all you are doing with your computer is playing Minecraft and emailing friends you aren’t risking much and it is probably manageable. If you do online banking then the risk is much more serious and probably not manageable.

Jul 6, 2015 6:11 AM in response to UltimateRainbow

UltimateRainbow wrote:

It doesn't run ok with Yosemite because certain softwares aren't compatible with it (such as my Cannon Lide). What I want to know is am I taking a huge risk to downgrade to Snow Leopard? Seeing as it's 4 years old anyway will new viruses even be targetted towards SL?

You may want to consider upgrading or replacing the outdates apps you have, eventually you will have to anyway.

Considering there are no viruses for OS X that isn't an issue, there is a small amount of malware however that is easily avoided by using a little common sense such as:

• Never download anything from a torrent site.
  • If you get an ad, pop-up, e-mail or phone call advising your computer has been compromised, this is a SCAM.
  • Keep OS X up-to-date.

Should I downgrade from Yosemite to Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.