Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeated prompts for Appleid Password on MBP: malware?

This has been going on for a couple three weeks. It persisted after I updated to 10.10.4. Each time I reboot, I'm prompted over and over for my appleid password. Paranoid as I am, I haven't entered it. Is this a sign of malware?

If not, how may I end the prompts?

If so, how may I chase down and remove the malware?

N.b., iCloud connections are up and running. App Store purchases work okay. iTunes works smoothly.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 8:25 PM

Tthe prompt are likely for things like Messages, FaceTime and other apps that require your Apple ID to function in the background.

9 replies

Jul 5, 2015 6:23 AM in response to putnik

Thanks: very useful to know. However, FWIW, let's say I have taken the insecure path and used the same password for appleid everywhere—iCloud, iTunes, all apps, and on, and on forever, world without end. And let's say I have *one time* entered the password for each and then never again in that session (in a manner of which I am aware) "logged off". Should, after reboot, there *still* be any further prompts for passwords (app-specific or not)?

Repeated prompts for Appleid Password on MBP: malware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.