Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't remember my apple id

Considered the free upgrade to yosemite. To do so i must log into the apple store. Sadly, i don't remember my apple id. I can't create a new one because my lifelong email address is attached to the old one. I click the button that says i forgot my apple id. They send an email that allows me to change my password. Which i can't really use as i can't remember nor be informed as to my previous apple id. Probably would just require credit card information to be stolen from the cloud anyway.

<Re-Titled By Host>

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 7:58 PM

11 replies

Jul 5, 2015 10:37 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Well you really should try it for yourself. I just tried the one you indicated and filled out the form and get this...

https://iforgot.apple.com/password/authenticationmethod?sstt=PJEe2RtaULEwQUfJO%2 ByqXj9GYbilgT1uuB3kK4D4Zfro0UiygCJMF%2B2…

Note the word "password" in that string. I appreciate your efforts to help. But what's supposed to work doesn't seem to be working.

Jul 5, 2015 11:14 AM in response to Dah•veed

I suppose the factory set it up when i bought it last year. Here's the story of this machine. I ran a titanium G4 for 10 years, finally had to replace the hard drive and a friend suggested i upgrade to a newer machine and pass the titanium down to the granddaughter in high school. So i did, her friend managed to tear the screen off of it, but plugged into a separate screen it still runs.

The machine i upgraded to ran for quite a few years when the video card went wonky. Online investigation showed that the video card was soldered in a great many places to the mother board, and macbook pro's being known to get warm, the solder failed. This was apparently a common issue with this model. OK, expensive to fix and doomed by design to this failure and another should i fix it. So thinking this was a one off engineering design failure, and having the brand loyalty to mac that i feel for toyota, i bought this one, last year.

I downloaded the free yosemite upgrade, didn't like it much, but oh well. Not long after, maybe 6 months into it's life, it died. Being very frustrated, i parked it for another 6 months to use a dreaded windows 7 machine given by a sympathetic, windows using friend. So i recently decided to give it another chance. Command r allowed to check the hard drive which was fine. So using the access command r gave me i tried reloading from my snow leopard cd. No go. Tried by the same process to reload from online and it tried to reload yosemite. This ended with the triangle containing an exclamation point that said it wasn't happening. So command r, erase the disk, command r again, and eureka, it gives me a version of snow leopard that's new and improved and very different from the one one my cd.

Well it obviously won't take a restore using time machine from my seagate backup disc as the os has changed. But being somewhat resourceful, though technically far from proficient, being over 60 years old, i did gather from the back up disk some data, such as bookmarks, calendar data, addresses, mail, etc. The bookmarks were salvaged as was the calendar information, but i don't know where to look on the backup to find anything applying to mail.

But the contacts application is just plain broken. I have an address book plug-ins folder in the system library and as well a .abbu file. But beyond trying to reload anything, it lacks an ability to accept more than one group, and if you type in contact information manually, close the program and reopen it, everything you put in it was gone. Software update says i should upgrade to yosemite, didn't like it before, but thought maybe it's been improved, hopefully better than this version of mountain lion (10.8.5). But i can't do that without knowing my apple store id as everything must go through them now.

On another thread, someone suggested v10.8.5 (Combo) update and supplied a link which i will try. Until then, i'm unable to go on an unlikely buying spree at the apple store.

Jul 5, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Charles Hale

Your MBP must have OS X Lion 10.7.4 or higher or OS X Mt Lion 10.8.x, as it can't run Snow Leopard. When your model came out, they originally shipped from the factory with OS X Lion 10.7.4, so it can't run anything older than that because nothing older has the software to run your specific hardware. Apple menu>About This Mac will confirm the installed version of OS X.

The 10.8.5 update combo is a good suggestion, it will bring any version of OS X prior to 10.8.5 to that version. But we still need to recover your Apple ID. Look for an Apple ID in the Keychain app, which is in the Utilities folder, which is in the Applications folder.

Jul 5, 2015 2:02 PM in response to Dah•veed

It may be that the snow leopard disc was from the previous mac. I have to claim old timers disease regarding that one. And also regarding this, i found a scrap of paper with my login information. I welcome abuse for my shameful ineptitude. I did try the combo update and it didn't take. I can refer to this thread regarding the results...

Re: just downloaded mountain lion and contacts doesn't work

So being back in business with the apple store i'm downloading yosemite in hope that it will allow the address book to work. If it won't accept my backup i'm willing to copy it all over manually. But i hope to at least get it working that i may do so. I do appreciate your help and apologize for my crusty old attitude.

I don't remember my apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.